• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Trailer for 'In the Fall of Gravity'

Hey movie people-

So I made this 11 minute stop motion animated short called 'In the Fall of Gravity' and just took it to it's first festival screening. I have a question that I suppose I should ask in another area of this message board but, I'll slap it here also... I plan to take this film to many more festivals (got a great reaction at the first one) and I also plan to try selling it on DVD with some bonus features. But, there are some festivals that won't accept a film that is for sale online or in stores. What's your opinion on that, sell it and get counted out of some festivals or hold off on selling until I feel done with festivals?

Anyway, this film was made with puppets that I created which are pretty unique in how they work. I gave them the ability to speak and show emotion via a cable control system that is ordinarily used for live action puppets like E.T. and that has never been done as extensively as what I've created here. Have a look-see and let me know what ya think... (No, there is NO CGI involved)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFxafDN6ZPM

The only help I had came at the end of production, I had someone to help remaster all the colors on the film, that was necessary because I had shot the first half of the film on chemical print film and the second half digitally and that was a big problem visually. And then there's the musical score for the film that a composer (Richard Brooner) did for the film. The music that you hear in the trailer I did myself prior to meeting Mr. Brooner.

But yeah, other than those two guys - everything that you see is something I spent years working on in my 'spare' time. l would love to make this film available for people to buy now but, I'm starting to enter it into film festivals and there are some festivals that won't accept a film if it is available to purchase online or in stores. That's obviously so that they are able to show films that are fresh and new and there's no chance that the audience would have seen them already.

Some fests

Hey man. Have a look into what big festivals you want to go into. Plan it out to submit to the biggest ones first (ones that have to be a premiere or not on the internet.). Then to the smaller fests. If your film does well at a big fest you will be invited to a bunch of others.

WIthoutabox is a great tool. They also have indy DVD distribution.

Thanks, that's exactly what I have been doing for the last couple of days - only not through withoutabox. A producer friend of mine sent me a list of all the Academy recognized festivals and I'm submitting to as many as I can on that list.

Do you think spending the extra cash on having the trailer for my film on my withoutabox page as opposed to just having a free account? I made this film over a number of years all by myself and the only 'funding' I had was whatever money I could spare myself for supplies. Taking it to the festivals can become pretty expensive quickly if I'm not careful.

I have to make up copies of the film to send on tapes (mini DV and DigiBeta) that I can't make up myself so, I have to have them made up by a service. And that's besides the cost of press kits and postcards and all the other 'minor' costs that go into the festival routine. All those costs can nearly add up to being what I spent to make the freaking film!

Because I work in animation, the cost of making a film is fairly low when it comes to the material cost and all of the labor was my own... no crew to pay. Now that I'm entering it into the festivals, I find myself spending money faster than I ever did while working on the movie.

Back