• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Super 8 Sound sync - where to process?

Hi!

I am new to the Super 8 film cameras and am planning to shoot on a Nizo with crystal sync, and an iPhone audio.

I know that Super 8 can shoot at 24fps but I am not sure how to sync the video footage with the iPhone digital audio clip. Do I do this in film editing software, or do I hand it over to a processing lab to do so? Or are there other more established methods that I am missing out?

If I do hand it to processing labs, what is an approximate cost? If I do it in film editing software, what would be an appropriate software to use? For, say, 1 roll of film (2+ min) how long might the processing take if I do it with software?

Super new, so sorry if this question has been asked before. Really appreciate your help!

Last edited:
Be sure to specity what fps you shot at, to the company doing the telecine.

Once, you have the file tbey create, you should be able to use normal editing software.

To be clear: the telecine do not process your sound. They process the film. Then, create a digital file. You sycn your sound to the digital file.

I'm assuming you are not cutting and splicing tape and film. :)

For both processing and telecine contact Pro8 in Burbank, CA and
Spectra Film and Video in North Hollywood. I've used both and
both are terrific.

Yes, you can sync the visual to the audio using any editing software. Do
you currently have any editing software?

Welcome to indietalk and to Super 8. I'm a huge advocate of super 8
filmmaking.

Thanks so much! I currently do not have the software - what would you recommend for a beginner? Or are there any places that will also do it for you?
Pro 8 and Spectra do look like it has a really good history processing film. Thanks for the tips!

@Murdock - I checked out places like Pro 8 and was not too sure if they also helped to digitize the telecine, or should I find some other places to do it/do it by hand?

Last edited:
Directorik would know better than I. But the telecine is the process of digitizing film that hasbeen processed.

ZenSteve had recommended Yale Film (i think that's the name), but I've never used them.

Back