• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Requested info on getting started

Hello there,

I am posting this in hopes that someone gets back to me with information that I am requesting. I am a screenwriter from New York City and have two completed screenplay's, while working on others. These screenplay's are meant for the Independent screen, as they are not Hollywood Blockbuster's that need big star names or special effects to sell.

I have read that it's hard to find backer's for Independent films, which puts me in a bind, considering that I myself am completely broke and have nothing to my name. I am not a filmaker, but I am an actor. I have many friends who are actor's and would be in my film for free. One of my films, which I'm partial to, is gay themed about a young gay man looking for love in the loveless world of the gay community. Now, I know that many films have been done like this, but this one is unique in a sense that there's always a corner to be turned - and never a predictable one.

Now, I know there are many independent gay themed films, because they're always showing here in NYC, and I was wondering if anyone had any information on how they were produced, or who I may want to contact. I am already in the process of finding my budget, and cutting costs as much as possible, as well as researching distribution costs. Where do I go from there?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Justice

Justiceinnyc said:
a young gay man looking for love in the loveless world of the gay community.

Well there's your tagline right there!

I really don't have any hard fast info for you, just a message. There is a reason all of those independent gay themed movies get made; because they are marketable in the independent community. So you have a marketable idea. That is the first and biggest step to finding financing.

Don't give up.

Poke

Screenplay

If you want to see it made, make it. Make it with a DV camera. If you want to sell it, then look up agents online, and see which ones take unsolicited material. Have your agent sell it for you. You can also buy the agent books, I think they have a samuel french in NYC, buy one there, and it will list if agent takes unsolicited material.
Good Luck!

Look up STRAND, distributors of the gay coming-out indie film, EDGE OF SEVENTEEN, written by TODD STEPHENS.

Or, look up KILLER FILMS (KIDS, SWOON, VELVET GOLDMINE, POISON, SAFE , I SHOT ANDY WARHOL) ALso check out the book SHOOTING TO KILL by CHRISTINE VACHON of KILLER FILMS.

And if you haven't already seen it, watch EDGE OF SEVENTEEN. Your script sounds similar, which might be a bad thing.

STRAND and KILLER are both NYC based.

I know this sounds nit-picky, but I hope your script doesn't read like your post. The reason I say this is how can a reader take your script seriously if you don't understand the difference between plural and possesive? I'm sure you do, but I see a lot of plurals that are spelled as if they were possessive in your post...

"two completed screenplay's"
"I have many friends who are actor's"
"hard to find backer's"

This may not be indictive of your writing, but you need to make sure you pay attention to this in any kind of communication. If I was a producer and you sent me an e-mail with mistakes like this in it, I'd assume your script isn't very good and probably wouldn't give you the time of day. Don't give people the opportunity to say "NO." It's hard enough to get somebody's attention with a perfect query, but even harder if you give them a way out.

I realize that this message was just posted in a web forum, and that it's a highly informal way of communicating. Heck, I'm sure I have some typos in this post... but when I see something constantly repeated, it's magnified. It's easy to slip into bad habits, make sure you check and recheck your queries.

- Mike.

Back