The best film ever made

How can you define what the best movie is?

Like I said at the end of my first post...

There is no "best" film. No film can be ranked. No form of art can be ranked.

Ranking films is purely opinion. Like you said, there are films you GF loves and you hate. No form of art is superior to another, no matter how many people say one is better. There is no point in trying to decide a best film. There will always be someone who disagrees.... and they are not wrong, because it is all opinion.

But I can't deny that it's fun to discuss opinions on film with others :)

Schindler's List didn't make me laugh once, so I don't think it's even in like a "top 100"

Schindler's List made me laugh once, but because I'm a horrible person with a sick sense of humor.

But, yeah, there can be no "best movie ever" because there are too many different things that a movie can be. It's a diverse medium, and that's what makes it great!

I know I had a handful of laughs in that movie, way more than I remembered..

When that sick nazi camp leader dude is being driven around and told the different parts of east vs west jewish camps, they ask him if he has any questions. "Yeah why is the top down I'm fucking freezing" oh man I lost it.

Then when ben kingsley almost gets shipped off to a death camp because he forgot his papers. oskar was running car to car and just barely managed to save him. "What if I I'd been five minutes late? Huh? Then where would I be?" once again I absolutely lost it. :lol:

But hey there is no accounting for personal taste and humor.
It could possibly be a best movies thread, but out of all the movies I listed that I have given 5 stars, none of them have such strong roots in reality. Thats what I think separates Schindler's list and makes it the best film ever made.

Lawrence of Arabia would be a competitor if the second half were as good as the first. Also I don't think it has as wide reaching of an appeal.

Last edited:
Schindler's List is the best film I've ever seen. On top of the significant historical value, there are such powerful emotions going through this film, and at the same time Spielberg still manages to work a few laughs in as well.

Whilst I find it impossible to give a definitive 'best film', I agree with what you're saying, and this film is right up there for me. The cinematography is beautiful, the screenplay flawless, the music arguably John Williams best (and that is saying something. Give it another listen and tell me I'm wrong; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c0gLBZ4CzA).

The film is nearly 200 minutes, but just moves along so seamlessly. Very sad, but there is definitely some humour in there as well. It really is a beautiful film, the ending where he breaks down wishing he'd saved more lives gets me every time. I think Spielberg is criticised too strongly by a lot of people, but anyone who thinks of him as just a 'Hollywood' director of high concept films, with style over substence etc, really ought to watch this film again. It is full of power and emotion that few other directors can claim to ever have put on screen.

Interesting to read on imdb that Spielberg initially wanted Scorsese to direct the film, and tried to get Roman Polanski and Billy Wilder to direct as well.

Of course we can't say what the 'best film' ever is. How can we really compare this film to Jurassic Park, for example? But on it's own merits Schindler's List is a great film, a masterpiece even.

Schindler's List is a great film. It would have been absurd if they hadn't given him the Oscar.

Agreed. The film deserved all the Oscars it won. So cool that Indiana Jones gave out the last award too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HKTYYX50hQ

Back