Tom Cruise is the Man

Tom is one of us! Or we're one of him?

Er...?

Okay, he's a big movie star who makes big movies.

And most of us are not. =(

But he also loves movies, and he watches and studies them everyday. So maybe it's not so weird for us to do the same. =)

This is cool. I like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NsQE8PInbw&feature=youtu.be

Heh-heh. Well, I don't know. You mean to be "successful" and to make big films? I hope so.

All I can say is that one of you wise I.T. folks once said...maybe it was Flickerpictures, maybe it was you, IDOM, maybe it was someone else, that you need to live and breath this stuff to get anywhere with it. I've remembered that and think it's probably true. I consider it an axiom.

So I like to hear that someone like Tom Cruise lives it. =)

This is interesting someone like Tom Cruise studies films and is very successful, then a person like Werner Herzog only watches three films a year and is very successful. Maybe it all just broils down to sheer luck and a pinch of talent to top it off?

This is interesting someone like Tom Cruise studies films and is very successful, then a person like Werner Herzog only watches three films a year and is very successful. Maybe it all just broils down to sheer luck and a pinch of talent to top it off?

Everyone's different. David Lynch and Clint Eastwood are both highly respected directors, yet incredibly different people. :)

I hear so much about actors not watching movies that this is very refreshing. Oh, and for the record, EDGE OF TOMORROW is awsome! I've seen it twice in two weeks and will probably see it again. It's my favorite movie of the year, so far.

Hmm... I didn't like the trailer for Edge of Tomorrow, but the cast is great and the reviews are fantastic. I think I'm going to have to give that a look!

Hmm... I didn't like the trailer for Edge of Tomorrow, but the cast is great and the reviews are fantastic. I think I'm going to have to give that a look!

I didn't care for the trailer, either. But, this isn't OBLIVION. Though I did enjoy most of that movie, it was a letdown.

In EDGE OF TOMORROW, Bill Paxton has one of his best roles in a long time. The FX are top notch. Cruise plays a double-crossing coward and does it well. The humor factor is high - "What the hell were you thinking?" Emily Blunt, aka"Full Metal Bitch," is now on my radar. Just see it.

Last edited:
I didn't care for the trailer, either. But, this isn't OBLIVION. Though I did enjoy most of that movie, it was a letdown.

In EDGE OF TOMORROW, Bill Paxton has one of his best roles in a long time. The FX are top notch. Cruise plays a double-crossing coward and does it well. The humor factor is high - "What the hell were you thinking?" Emily Blunt, aka"Full Metal Bitch," is now on my radar. Just see it.

Sounds good. Thanks for the recommendation :)

Edge of Tomorrow is F'ing BRILLIANT! Acting, directing, writing, all top-notch!

I'm with Tom on his concept of watching a single scene, like listening to a single track of music. Once you've got the context of the entire movie, you can enjoy a single great scene over, and over, and over again.

I'm with Tom on his concept of watching a single scene, like listening to a single track of music. Once you've got the context of the entire movie, you can enjoy a single great scene over, and over, and over again.

I do this with the Leopard Tree Dream and Jogging Chase, from CAT PEOPLE. Can't watch it enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8vVF4cXlQo

Another one would be the Klingons versus V'ger battle, from STAR TREK: TMP. I don't care for the movie, but that scene is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbG3N51MEjM

Of course, I love the Nostromo landing on LV-426, in ALIEN. Like STAR TREK, it features Jerry Goldsmith music. PROMETHEUS has a nice scene and PITCH BLACK has one of the coolest crashlanding scenes, as well.

Just watched it. FANTASTIC. Kept my attention and never let go of it. So, so awesome. I absolutely adored it.

Tom is a big fan of Chris McQuarrie.

The writer/director of Jack Reacher and script doctor for Edge of Tomorrow. I believe it was tom who brought him in, but the guy also wrote the usual suspects so he's been around for a while.

I think Tom has achieved a level of success we should all aspire towards. But one of my biggest struggles is the balancing act between watching films and making them. If I ever know success, even a fraction of what Tom Cruise has I'll do whatever I want. Til then, know the medium, but stay hungry.

Back