Is this film school course worth taking?

I am not exactly a newbie here, but I wasn't sure where else to post this, when it comes to discussing film school. I was thinking of taking this course:

http://www.rais.ca/Motion Picture Arts

It's almost 12K and I was wondering if it was worth the money, or if they do not really teach enough...? Other people who I have talked to that went to different film schools, say that it was a waste of money and time, cause what they learnt was obsolete, and didn't help them in the filmmaking world of the current day. So I was wonderng what you thought of this course from the looks of it. I took a tour of the school, and it seemed... okay, but not sure, since it was just a tour, and I cannot get a full impression from it.

I talked to one student who is currently going there so far, and she says it's good, but that is just one person's opinion so far, where as other's from other film schools says it ended up being a waste of money in the end, when they could have put that money to better use. So what do you think?

Okay then. I will see about doing one of the scripts I have now. Right now I have two, and might do the shorter one. Do you think I should ask for other people's opinions to see if they are good, or should I just shoot one, regardless of story quality?

If I cannot get a PSM, I could do ADR maybe, or I could rewrite it so it can be narrated, as long as it doesn't come off as too cheesy. I already have the script ready to go, and I am not good at poetry at all, but perhaps I could use the same method, and tell the story through narration.

I will see about doing one of the scripts I have now. Right now I have two, and might do the shorter one. Do you think I should ask for other people's opinions to see if they are good, or should I just shoot one, regardless of story quality?

No, you should not ask opinions. Because that is ALL you seem to be able to do, with no resolution.

Al told you how to tell a story reading a poem. That is NOT a random shot clip, and you already know the difference.

Since you need it spelled out for you, Ryan:

Narrated poem + visuals + sound design. No actors.

https://vimeo.com/18305022

Got it?

AcousticAl out.

Last edited:
Okay thanks. I didn't think that was really a story though cause the narrator is just describing what the plants are doing, but it's not an actual story with actual themes, to explore.

But if I can just describe the activity of whatever objects are in the camera, and that can count as a story, then I can do that.

Hey Al you tried!

You can lead a horse to water, and even dunk his head in it, but sometimes he just won't drink!

Or there's public domain poems/stories that you can narrate and use visuals to tell a more modern story or your interpretation of the poem or story, from horror and macabre, to humor. No actors, 1 actor, sound, music, no dialog, whatever!

He posted an example. The fact you take that so literary and think that is the ONLY example, and that a poem that tells a story can't be used instead of the one you said is not a story, boggles the mind though. These are the types of responses that waste people's time.

One of my first real short films didn't have script. I was reading a book and it started off with saying, "if you want to make movies, make movies. Put the book down and go film something right now. If you have this, make a movie about it. If you have a cat, make a movie about your cat. Come back when you're done."

So I did just that. I put the book down, grabbed my MiniDV camera and started following my cat around our house. After a few hours chasing her around, I edited the movie in Windows Movie Maker. Did it win any awards? No. But that wasn't the point of the exercise. The point was to get me off my butt and start making movies. I give you the same challenge right now: Go make a movie about anything. If all you have is a toy car on your desk, make a movie about that. Don't worry about a script, lighting, sound or if your camera is good enough. You're not there yet.

I'm in the middle of learning how to start an online business. Something that was brought to my attention by Noah Keagan is that you have entrepreneurs, and wantrepreneurs. Entrepreneurs start business. wantrepeneurs "play" business. They spend all their time on logos, names, paperwork, filling for an LLC etc without ever actually starting the business.

So the question is, do you actually want to be a filmmaker, or just play at being a filmmaker? Filmmakers make films. Don't worry if it's perfect, it's not time for you to change the world with your masterpiece yet. But eventually, who knows?

If you're interested, here's that little short I made because the book told me to:
Salem's Big Day ~2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX5dxwewldc

Last edited:
H44, you are clearly no poet, just like you are no trouble shooter. I bet most even doubt your creative abilities. I think you have creative abilities, but you use them to phantom problems and create excuses.

Why did we say your no character short was just a random collection of shots?
Because there is no theme. You did not even bother to try to edit it differently to make it have a 'story'.

You are clearly no poet.
"I didn't think that was really a story though cause the narrator is just describing what the plants are doing, but it's not an actual story with actual themes, to explore."
You totally missed Al's point of narrated poetry as a great exercise for your visual skills. (And a way to bypass your casting problem.)
That video is not a narrator describing what plants are doing. It is visuallizing what the narrator is telling. This totally explains why you couldn't make a mood video as I suggested years ago: you don't understand or feel poetry. You still didn't watch Koyaanisqatsi I guess?
Ever read Les Fleur du Mal by Baudelaire?
Never wrote a poem as a teenager?
You only think in 'logical' actions and legal constructions, but you lack emotion and poetry.
Ever experienced the Sublime and the Beautiful?
Ever looked at Romantic paintings?*
Ever wondered what sets 'cinema' apart from soap operas? (No, it's not the number of pages.)
Ever compaired the 3 different Wallander series to see how the different approaches work on an emotional level?
Ever watched falling stars in a night so dark you can see the whole of the milky way?
Ever stopped by the road to get out and watch the sky on fire during sunset?
Ever watched the tiny drops in a spider's web, just to look at the beauty of it?
Ever been to a live show where the band played such beautiful music it made you cry?

Go ahead, do apply and wait for the letter that thanks you for your effort.
Mara is right: if you are serious about applying a new short should be on top of your list. If you can't make that deadline you should ask yourself whether or not your are ready for filmschool.
Indietalk is also right: you don't understand 'concept', you only understand 'literal' and that explains all those 'rules' all those 'plotholes' you dig yourself in and all the excuses you create.
I will use my time in a better more productive way: 2017 will be a great year.

*)
this classic by Caspar David Friedrich for example:
800px-Caspar_David_Friedrich_-_Wanderer_above_the_sea_of_fog.jpg

Last edited:
Connor, I applaude your kind approach.
After 5 questions I figured out H44 is not the average person and I think many people have been very patient for the next 2,000(? statistics only show the 500 most resent threads) questions. Everytime he has a problem and someone offers a simple solution he has an excuse why it won't work. In the meantime he tries to solve his simple problem with a complicated solution that includes multiple proplems he says he can't solve.
So, yeah, that can be very frustrating.
Everytime he wants to be told what to do, but when being told what to do, nothing happens. It took him over 6 weeks to click 'join' on a facebook group for local filmmakers.

He made a short before. He should be able to make more if he wants to.

PS.
In my frustration I posted many questions, which are possible sources of inspiration.

PPS.
I think IT is very open in general.

I think the dude is very creative but needs a kick in the pants, and if I can be that kick in the pants but come across as being impatient so be it... I will take that hit. I'm a procrastinator myself... and I see a lot of similar stuff, like, happy if it rains and I was supposed to do something, so I can say, oh well shit, can't do it today, it's raining. I put stuff off forever. Don't ask. So yeah, he is pissing me off because he has potential! And I don't want to see him fall into the same ruts I do. I wish I could follow my own advice as well, but just DO IT! Don't ask just do, then come back and show us!

Before you reply any further in threads by h44, I want you to think about this a little: "Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?"

While I've been guilty of it in the past, he has you all enabling his games.

Perhaps it's time to make a new years resolution.

Before you reply any further in threads by h44, I want you to think about this a little: "Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?"

While I've been guilty of it in the past, he has you all enabling his games.

Perhaps it's time to make a new years resolution.

Reminds me of the old saying, "not my circus, not my monkeys"

Okay thanks. Thanks for all the help and advice. I hardly ever read poetry and most of the stories I do read are pretty straightforward I guess. Sorry if I was stubborn or not willing to cut corners.

I was hired to shoot a promotional video and edit it, for a mining company. I can try to make that as film like as possible and try to tell a story in the video, with no script. I might be able to do narration as well, but it depends on what the company wants.

After that I am going to try to get started on another short, and hopefully have both these projects completed before possibly starting the film school course.

Last edited:

I was hired to shoot a promotional video and edit it, for a mining company. I can try to make that as film like as possible and try to tell a story in the video, with no script. I might be able to do narration as well, but it depends on what the company wants.

Congrats on the gig.

Trust me, you don't want to do a corporate video you get paid for without a script (or plan).
I have no idea what the budget is, you need at least a plan to know what you have to shoot to be able to convincingly tell the story the client needs to tell.
What are the goal and purpose of the video?
Who is the target audience?
What is the key message?

At the same time: shoot it as 'filmic' as possible. Make every shot count and add to the visual story.
In the edit: always ask yourself: it this interesting for the target audience?

Basically the company was expanding their location and I was shooting the construction of it all. I already shot it all last summer and fall, but they never got back to me to edit it since, construction fell behind, and it was never finished. They told me it mighht be dead in the water and to wait and see. But they got back to me, today, and still want an edited video of the construction that was already done. So I have to tell the story of how the construction and expansion was done on their location.

However, back when I shot it it, they didn't really have a plan for me to work with much, and I just shot a bunch of construction being done. I tried to shoot it as filmic as possible, but a lot of it had to be shot at a high shutter speed, since I had to from interior to exterior constantly while shooting, without having the time to take ND filters on and off, since those construction people move fast.

So basically I was just able to get a bunch of shots of construction being done, and now have to figure out how to put it all together and tell a story in post. As for what the message of the video is, they just want to humbly show off their expansion to people as far as I know.

Last edited:
Back