• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch $650 Award Winning Film: 1-800-JACKETS

Hello y'all!
I don't think I've been on here since a couple of years ago. Been extremely busy with projects and real day-jobs.
Anyway, our group created an action "featurette" (45 minutes). It's really more of a sandbox-styled-fun-experiment for everyone on board - learning to work with one another, operations, production, who is going to do what - and after our first successful festival run, we have released it.

I've typed more info about it, below the video. They're also trailers on our channel if you'd like to see what it's about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-cuf8TB14g&t=4s&spfreload=10

We got a number of "Official Selections", but really did well with action-oriented festivals (there's a bit of martial arts) winning awards and such. Honestly, accomplished much more than what I (the editor, also was casted for the role of Flak) was expecting.

It was filmed guerrilla-style, lots of decisions being made on the go (especially since no one was being paid), and had a grand total crowd-funded production budget of a whooping $650. It was a collaborative project with many young creatives wanting to hop on and have something to work with. Many businesses also loaned us their space to be able to have a setting.

This film isn't perfect, but I am proud of it for what we had to work with. Please, feel free to leave any thoughts, comments, critiques, curiosities, or questions you might have. Thanks!

Welcome back, $650 budget nice.

Thanks! And yes, $650 mostly spent on donuts.

Excuse me while I go on a motivational speech here, but I've been catching up on this forum, reading a bunch of posts, and it sparked something.

I like to refer to this project as a whole, when talking to others who aren't too sure they can shoot a film. This entire production was based on a "Can we shoot this? How are we gunna make this happen? What are we going to do?" basis. This was a project that was put together, with little to no funds, by people who are just passionate about their creativity and their talents.

I see so many post on this forum - "Does this sound good? How do I do this and that? How am I supposed to do any of this?" My best advice, coming off of this film, is JUST TRY. Collaborate, find others that are like minded, put yourself out there, learn how to do what you want to do in the most efficient way possible, go to film group meet ups, put a call out there on social media, or talk to friends about what you want to do. You will run into hurdles and obstacles and every problem you never thought of. But filmmaking is a constant learning experience, and constant trail-and-error, learning the hard way. Start simple and keep pushing yourself to try different, complex things. You will learn a lot. And I basically just described how we put together this production with nothing to back us up. There's errors in our own productions, but we are constantly learning what we can do to be better. Which is why you create and put your stuff out there to be critiqued. Same reason why I posted it here. You CAN create it, and you CAN be successful in a festival run -- you just have to make that first step and TRY.

/end motivational rant

I see so many post on this forum - "Does this sound good? How do I do this and that? How am I supposed to do any of this?" My best advice, coming off of this film, is JUST TRY.

I see you've been reading a specific user's posts. Unfortunately your advice will go in one ear and out the other.

That being said, I'm glad YOU did it, and hope others listen!

I hope that as well.

If anyone has any comments and such, please don't hesitate. We actually learn from the criticism we receive.

Back