• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch " Patrol Duty "

We did a mystery/thriller war film Patrol Duty a while ago. The short was done with a ridiculous $450 budget, including all the practical effects, gun rentals, gasoline, props and wardrobe.

We decided to do something a little different this time... Hope you enjoy it! The post production work with the film was simply staggering.. With every single shot containing heavy color grading and a lot of digital sepcial fx.

The sound effects were mostly done by the marvelous Nic Smith from Wreck-a-movie.com and the music was done by our dear friend Eetu Suoranta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbZEPixBmhA

Thanks! Yeah the lighting was a bit of an issue there... Some shots were way too dark to begin with and some were way too bright.. Of course you can tone the brightness down but you can't create more light to the image, if there is almost none. And then you have to think about keeping them in sync with the rest of the scene and the movie...

Well, to your fortune the shakycam was only used heavily in the first one and a half minutes... In the rest of the film there are couple scenes in the middle and one scene in the end which utilises it, but not as effectively as in the beginning...

Last edited:
Nice work! Sometimes, it looks terrific, the way you've desaturized it. Other times, it's way too dark.

There is one thing I thought I'd mention that would only apply to any future work you do -- in my opinion, I think you're better off letting your actors speak their native language, and using subtitles if you want to reach an English-speaking-audience. There are two negative downsides to you using English. First, the accents are weird. I can't place them; they're clearly not native English-speakers. As much as I try to ignore it, I'm constantly remined of it. Secondly, and more importantly, you're not giving your actors the opportunity to really act. Instead of delivering a solid emotional performance, they seem to concentrate on memorizing exact lines and impersonating John Wayne. The indie-watching crowd is okay reading subtitles; I'd do that next time.

Cheers!

Well, to your fortune the shakycam was only used heavily in the first one and a half minutes... In the rest of the film there are couple scenes in the middle and one scene in the end which utilises it, but not as effectively as in the beginning...

It doesn't take but 20 seconds to make me throw up from motion sickness. I hate to say it but 1 and a half minutes isn't necessarily to my fortune.

Back