*** I want all the credit!!! ***

Ok, so I'm fairly new to screenwriting, and I guess this post is about filmmaking in general.
I attend film classes at a community college, own a DSLR, and decent equipment. I have ok editing skills, one of the best in my class along with my color grading skills and so on.

I have 6 people wanting to collaborate with me on our next project, but they all want to make the best most amazing new film, and they all want the credit. It's like a tug of war, literally where there's like a circle and 6 strands or rope come out from the middle and I'm the middle.

I feel that I'm being taken advantage of, because of my skills. I'm not saying that I am be all end all the best, it's just that these guys are younger then me, and I find them to be somewhat immature.
Because mainly they want to be the one to write the story, do their thing... if you know what I mean.
This happened last time, I ended up shooting my friends screenplay, because we didn't have time for mine.
We ended up with a good looking film (with some camera angle errors, and some audio) but overall ok for our first short; except for the story..

Does anyone have any good ideas to what I should do? Because I love working with people.
We're supposed to start making another short, 5 minutes, either documentary or a narrative. I'm having a hard hard time coming up with something cool.

Great.
I'm pretty sure we've all seen a "few" actor/director films, right?
Right.

Then pick two least-knuckleheads; one for the camera, one for the boom mike then gopherit, Eastwood!
Seriously.

If they're depending on you - then lead.
You sound like a sensible guy.
I remind my kids "I don't ask or tell you to do anything you can't do or is wrong to do. Do it."
At work I train new-hires. "A. B. C. D. Can you you do that? Great. Show me."

You produce, direct, act, shoot and edit.
One team member does lighting and cinematography understudy.
Other team member does sound and script/set continuity.

Everyone else can... go make their masterpieces.

Last edited:
Great.
I'm pretty sure we've all seen a "few" actor/director films, right?
Right.

Then pick two least-knuckleheads; one for the camera, one for the boom mike then gopherit, Eastwood!
Seriously.

If they're depending on you - then lead.
You sound like a sensible guy.
I remind my kids "I don't ask or tell you to do anything you can't do or is wrong to do. Do it."
At work I train new-hires. "A. B. C. D. Can you you do that? Great. Show me."

You produce, direct, act, shoot and edit.
One team member does lighting and cinematography understudy.
Other team member does sound and script/set continuity.

Everyone else can... go make their masterpieces.

Totally sensible, I completely agree. It just seems as we're too many people in this group (we're 5).
I'm going to suggest to split into two groups, because it's just not going to work well.
And I will be available to help / film - edit both of the groups if they want.

Back