Easy ways to down-convert 1080p to 720p?

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any good way to convert 1080p AVCHD video down to 720p?

I do not own a high-def camera yet, but I plan to buy the $900 Canon Rebel T2i within the next couple of months. Since it doesn't offer 24fps in 720p mode, I'll need to shoot my videos in full HD and then down-convert them to edit them semi-painlessly on my laptop, as well as upload them to the internet without having to worry about converting the footage again. There's no way my current editing setup will even come close to editing 1080p AVCHD footage without giving me massive headaches and possibly frying my computer! :lol:

Also, is there a way that I can painlessly (or at least semi-easily) convert the footage from AVCHD to, say, MPEG-2? That would also improve editing for me.

Thanks to all who respond!

-Yodaman

Whoops, forgot to give my tech specs. They're kind of embarrassing...

Intel Pentium T4300 2.10GHz dual-core processor with an 800MHz FSB speed

4GB of RAM

Up to a gig of video memory (Intel Graphics Media Accelerator Chip)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Last edited:
I'll be purchasing and Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 (Platinum Pro Pack) here within a couple of months; hopefully they won't have replaced it with a new version by then. :P

I know I'll be able to at least down-convert it with Vegas, but I really want to convert it from using the AVCHD codec/format to MPEG-2 and still retain HD. Is this recommended, or should I stick with keeping it AVCHD?

Thanks!

cineform neoscens does SOME of this.. it doesn't down covert or change the resultion, it still a 1080 file, but it will take any avhcd input file (60i, 30p, 24p) and leave you with a 24p file with the added befit of improved compression that is friendlier to computer editing and is much easier on our older computers. Its an intermediary codex and you use the files just as you would native ones, but without the PAIN (well without ALL of it).

Converting right to MPEG2-DVD is not a good idea for your source footage. Its a lossy compression and will result in lower quality image. As a rule, let your distribution renders be the VERY LAST thing you do to any footage. I never render MPEG2 for DVD, I let my DVD authoring software do the trans-code for me. For the internet, I use quicktime pro to turn my loss-less HUGE movies into itty bity .h264.mov files that youtube and vimeo love... (check there compression recommendations for specifics)

Now though, even with neoscene encoded files, Im finding working with 1080 footage is too slow on my old PC, I too am toying with the idea of down converting to 720 24p might be a viable option, but frankly I don't know. I have setup some AE projects with proxies, and even 720 proxies are still slower .. its not until I get back around SD quality for my proxies do I get something approximating descent performance..

In Premiere the 1080 cineform files are just fine, I dont do any effects in Premiere, so Im only ever loading one or two streams for editing so I think the work load is less..

I'm coming up with another plan. Instead of buying the camera first, I should buy a computer capable of editing the footage without giving me a ton of headaches. The $1400 iMac is what I want to upgrade to. It comes with a 3.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6MB shared L2 cache, 4GBs of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory, and a resolution of full HD and a 500GB hard drive. I'm thinking of putting Final Cut Express on there for an additional $200. I'm thinking this is the smarter plan; buy the computer first, then the camera. :D

well, I see your point, but think about how much work you can do towards a movie even with an old PC. Just doing small 20, 30 sec clips has taught me a lot (and continues to do so) I too will upgrade my PC, but Im thinking of a year time frame.. I can survive with pain, but not with complete blockage!

well, I see your point, but think about how much work you can do towards a movie even with an old PC.

Very true, and I appreciate your pointing that out. I've actually done a ton of editing on my old desktop computer (it only has 512MB ram!), and it taught me a lot. I used to think it was fast until I got this laptop....:P

NEOSCENE would alleviate almost all your concerns with the laptop you already have.

In that case, I'll take a look at it. Thanks all!

The PC itself is over 8 years old now. It's not really worth upgrading at all, which is why I got this laptop. 4GBs of RAM edits SD footage really, really nicely. :D

I'm coming up with another plan. Instead of buying the camera first, I should buy a computer capable of editing the footage without giving me a ton of headaches. The $1400 iMac is what I want to upgrade to. It comes with a 3.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6MB shared L2 cache, 4GBs of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory, and a resolution of full HD and a 500GB hard drive. I'm thinking of putting Final Cut Express on there for an additional $200. I'm thinking this is the smarter plan; buy the computer first, then the camera. :D

Just a Thought...

If you buy a New Mac, get the 1-on-1 for $99 a year and you can get in-store training (up to 1 hour a week - depends on availability) where a "Genius" will train you on how to use a Mac and FCE (:yes: amazing eh!). Cheaper and better then getting taking a course. That said you need to live near a mac store and successfully book the time in their schedule.

I asked if I could just buy the 1-on-1 but its only for sale when you buy a New Mac. :(

Also - check out MacRumors.com buying guide http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ iMacs seem to be okay, but the MacPro is suspected to have an update within a week or two.

I'm debating on pulling the trigger on the previous gen quad core system. I REALLY wanted to get an i7 based system with 24GB ram.. but that hits the MULIT thousands quickly.. but I CAN DOUBLE my current system specs (dual core, 4GB) to Quad Core, 8GB for about $300 on a used system) I cant really SAVE my pennies until I can get a i7 as there are SO many things to buy :) Lights, audio gear, plug ins.. and I LOVE to get new goodies.. even little ones..

Back