I NEED HELP WITH SOUND!!!

Hi!

So I've been using zoom mics for ages now but I just got myself Zoom H4N so I can use it with my Rode NTG2. BUT I'm getting a lot of hiss, my levels are fine and I'm as close as I can get to my talent and yet still hiss. I'm guessing its the pre-amps but is there any work around from this? I have heard other peoples sound using the same set up and its perfect.

Any tips for working with this? Any help would be perfect!

I'm using Zoom H4N and Rode NTG2 with Phantom Power 48V. Help me! Please!!!

THANK YOU!

Fraser Cottrell

Check your batteries - are they all fully charged?

Are you using a good quality cable? Cheap bargain basement cables can sometimes cause problems such as RF and EM interference.

Do you have the phantom power engaged in both units (NTG-2 phantom power ON, H4n phantom power ON)? This can cause serious problems including permanent damage to the units in addition to a potential for noise problems.

You can reduce hiss in post by using a Low-Pass Filter. Start at about 12kHz and slowly drop it. About 9kHz is as low as you can go without noticeably affecting the voices.

Oh, are you sure that your monitoring is not at fault?

The Zooms are hissy and you are compounding the problem with using a self powered mic.
The headphone amp is pretty low grade and underpowered too. You could be hearing hiss from the headphone amp is it any better listening to the files through a GOOD audio system??
Though to be honest though if it really is that noticeable I would say there is another problem somewhere. Try testing your cables and mic on another system or switch out cables and try another mic.
Only real workaround if there are no other problems would be to record line in through a mixer or good pre-amps.

Back