DSLR rig for an affordable price.

DSLR rig for an affordable price?

Hey, I have been using my 60D for over a year making short films. But it get's too shaky, run&gun with the camera is a total no-go. So I am thinking about investing in an affordable rig for no more than a couple of hundred dollars.

I want a rig similiar to this:
resize

How much does one of those cost? I need the handle at the top to get low camera angles as well as a shoulder rig. So I'm open to suggestions. I've been over at redrock's website but they are way too expensive, do you recommend other sites? If it costs a lot, I can get away with just the platform thing (what the camera is locked on to) with the handle at the top and the 2 on the sides, anywhere I can get that?

Thanks.

EDIT: I forgot that ebay exists. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DSLR-Steadi...405?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a6da359d, hmm, does this seem good? I'm always skeptical buying off from ebay, is this good quality? Is it better to pay extra to be ensured quality rigs, or can I make good deals on ebay?

Last edited:

I have watched reviews of the first one, it looks decent. But it has a negative side where the arms aren't strong enough to hold the camera if you configure it to have a handle over the camera, as you can see here: http://youtu.be/uBiRDXoGsCs?t=6m29s.

The second link looks like something I could buy,but unfortunately they don't ship to Norway and I think it's a little expensive, but maybe it's worth it?
EDIT: They do ship to Norway!

I will probably go with the link I provided above, or one of those you suggested, unless someone have any other recommendations. I am very unsure.

Last edited:
Steve, a member from around here often links one similar to the second one from amazon with a similar price. I shall try and find it

http://www.amazon.com/Shoulder-Camc...&qid=1353484089&sr=8-1&keywords=spider+steady I assume you mean this one. It's cheaper than the ebay link. But the weight problem (watch the video link further up) makes me not wanna buy it. But it can be configured into many forms, I may find one that works, perhaps hold with two hands. I'll think about it.

A matte box without filter trays is useless, and you're better off simply buying a lens hood.

A cheap follow focus that will inherently have play is practically useless for an AC. Maybe some use for a one-man operator, but I'm not sure if it's worth it as an operator over simply focussing on the lens barrel.

You basically just needs some handles and maybe a shoulder pad. Many options available.

A matte box without filter trays is useless, and you're better off simply buying a lens hood.

A cheap follow focus that will inherently have play is practically useless for an AC. Maybe some use for a one-man operator, but I'm not sure if it's worth it as an operator over simply focussing on the lens barrel.

You basically just needs some handles and maybe a shoulder pad. Many options available.

Yea.. you're right infact. I just need a rig with some handles allowing me to get low-angle camera shots and also have the ability to use it as a shoulder-rig. Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Shoulder-Camc...&qid=1353484089&sr=8-1&keywords=spider+steady, but this one has some negative sides as I explained earlier, are there rigs similiar to this that doesn't have this "weight" problem?

Last edited:
Don't cheap out!

A while ago, I thought I would save a few bucks (okay, a lot of bucks) by purchasing knock-off items through eBay. Alas, what I wound up with is sub-standard gear. I would caution against going cheap as I did; you'll wind up spending more money replacing stuff.

I got a baseplate from Cine City in India, and it's not good. It's plastic, not metal, so I worry that it will snap under the weight of my full rig. And its dimensions are slightly off; if it's tightened on the rods, then other (higher-quality) gear won't slide along the rods.

I got a cheapie follow-focus from somewhere on eBay, and it's not good. It has too much play: if you change focus on something far, then change back to something near, you have to turn the wheel part of a turn before it engages and starts turning the focus ring. And it slips within its housing, so that partway through a turn it just ... stops ... then picks up again.

So carefully research the gear you plan to buy, and remember the cliche: If it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

I like the Manfrotto Sympla line. It's good, and it's compatible with my tripod head and Fig Rig. I've also heard good things about Lanparte for cheap gear (or, at least, cheaper than RedRock), but have no experience with that.

You should check out this rig called the XF1. (http://xfactor1.com/xf1.html)

It's manufactured in America, has a great price, and looks pretty nice. I recently ordered one, about 5 days ago. It hasn't shipped yet, but the manager custom cut one of the pieces for me with no extra charge (Audio recorder mount). What you want to focus on when buying a rig is getting the base right. You can add on extra stuff later. I really wouldn't recommend buying a rig without an over the shoulder construction. Ones that press up against your shoulder are much less stable than ones with counterweight behind your back.

Kamerar is a cheap enough brand that makes solid stuff.

Check them out.

dsc5260_grande.jpg

http://kamerar.com/products/socom-video-shoulder-rig

DISCLAIMER : A real shoulder rig should come with counterweights. This one doesn't but they told me it's sold separately. I haven't checked how it works exactly but you should. I had a shoulder rig before without Counterweight and it very tiresome, painful and stabilisation is not that good.

I have heard of them before actually, thanks for bringing it up, I had forgotten them. I have now decided to go with this one :)

Reason:
1. Low price, and free shipping for crying out loud!
2. Really good build quality, considering the price. You really get bang for the bucks here.
3. I can easily add a "swiss rod" to attach a ton of equipment, which I like.
4. Very customizable, I can attach a handle at the the top for the run&gun style, like I wanted to.

I'm pretty sure I will be glad to get this one over the spider steady rig I asked about!

Back