• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to create this beam/transport effect?

Doing some work for a fan film, and was wondering, how can I create this beam transport in After Effects? :huh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwNUltELe5Q (first 7 sec)

Someone said I could use a fractal noise to do something similiar, but.. what more? So many others has recreated this effect in AE and posted on youtube, so can't be that hard I believe.
Any help and tips appreciated!

Looks like they masked out the people and added some white glow, then "sliced" it, looks like rays of light. How can I achieve this effect?

Last edited:
I have looked for tutorials that contains "Asgard beam" in the title :P The video you found looks surprisingly similiar with the effect, thanks! Will check it out!

And those basic tutorials are too basic for me, I am not that of a newbie in AE. This effect is not so basic as it must be made of several layers and has to match the other beams as close as possible. Usually I find my way around in AE, but not this time.

EDIT: Watched the video.. he only explained how to appear and dissappear, I can do that. The lighting beam effect he already had in a png sequence which he just dropped in, I need to know how to CREATE those effects :/

Just give me something to start with! :)

Last edited:
START:
Look at the effect. What do you see?

Some vertical light streaks (different lengths 5 for each person)
Some blurry foggy stuff
The people drop in from above all blurred and then the light streaks fade out..

All basic AE stuff :P

Break it down man, break it down..

Create a ONE person transporter effect and duplicated it 5 times..

To create light streaks:
create a white solid. Then mask out longish narrow vertical white rectangles, say 5 of varying widths and lengths maybe going thickest\longest in the middle getting shorter narrower as you move away from the center and apply some directional blur (vertical again)

precomp it

Dupe it

On the copy of the precomp apply massive blur and lower opacity to almost 0 to get that foggy stuff..

I must admit though that the effect you referenced is LAME!!! Try something along the lines of this tut..

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/disintegration/

Last edited:
In AE, just throw particular on a new solid, then adjust the settings to slowly push particles one way across the screen. Mask it and feather it... then place it behind your actors (roto'd out)... then dupe it and flip it so it's going the other way and place it in front.

In the original star trek, they used glitter being stirred in a fish bowl... you could do that as well, it would give the same effect.

you could also just use photoshop to create a series of PNG files with the same type of images varying a number of layers to make an image sequence similar to the demos talked about.

cheers
geo

Thanks for all the replies! I will try to do the effect based on your suggestions :) I will let you know if I run into trouble, or how the final effect looks like if I manage to do it correctly.

Haha at first I did not even notice him until I read the description. (I hadn't seen the original). Of course after that I could tell with the green screening because of the lighting, but the actual teleporting effect was very well done Nicolai

Haha at first I did not even notice him until I read the description. (I hadn't seen the original). Of course after that I could tell with the green screening because of the lighting, but the actual teleporting effect was very well done Nicolai

Hehe thanks, that's a great compliment :) The producer should have invested more time in setting up the lights in his studio, indeed. I tried as best as I could to color correct the guy, but didn't spend too much time on it.

Back