• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Nightcrawler and its ellipses

Dan Gilroys Nightcrawler

Amazing film and performance with a innovative script.

I've never seen a script with no scene titles and the constant use of ellipses to move the story along and I well i loved it. For once it was really easy to read a script quickly.

The pacing and writing got straight to the point and I found it was as close to what viewers actually saw on screen. I'd like to open up a discussion on this method as I find it kind of revolutionary* and to the benefit of the reader especially on a first read.

I would also personally find it easy to write in this style.

Would this approach be advisable for first time writers?

Dan Gilroy's Nightcrawler
... Would this approach be advisable for first time writers?
No. Dan is both writer and director of his own film. If you plan to shoot your own film, yes, go ahead. If not, then you are best advised to follow industry standard formatting.

The reason for the slugline is identify location and lighting issues. These are used by the AD, producers and art directors to prepare shoot schedules and budgeting. Films are not shot sequentially but by locations. From a production standpoint, Dan's freestyle script is problematic. However, creatively, that is the style of writing that should happen that is compatible with standard formatting.

So yes, emulate the pacing and visual chunking but not the formatting. Get four major film projects under your belt then you can break the rules and shoot your own script.

No. Dan is both writer and director of his own film. If you plan to shoot your own film, yes, go ahead. If not, then you are best advised to follow industry standard formatting.

The reason for the slugline is identify location and lighting issues. These are used by the AD, producers and art directors to prepare shoot schedules and budgeting. Films are not shot sequentially but by locations. From a production standpoint, Dan's freestyle script is problematic. However, creatively, that is the style of writing that should happen that is compatible with standard formatting.

So yes, emulate the pacing and visual chunking but not the formatting. Get four major film projects under your belt then you can break the rules and shoot your own script.

Thanks for that insight Fantasy, well that settles it. Appreciate it!

Back