• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Reel Indie - Bringing Independence Back to Independent Film!

Hello fellow filmmakers! Soon we will be launching a website www.reelindie.org that is the first online filmmaking platform. Here you can raise funds for your films, showcase your entire production process, network with other filmmakers and find actors, crew, etc. and distribute your film online while keeping 100% of your earnings! I look forward to hearing from you and hope to work together to keep the independent film community strong and supportive. Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello fellow filmmakers! Soon we will be launching a website www.reelindie.org that is the first online filmmaking platform. Here you can raise funds for your films, showcase your entire production process, network with other filmmakers and find actors, crew, etc. and distribute your film online while keeping 100% of your earnings! I look forward to hearing from you and hope to work together to keep the independent film community strong and supportive. Thank you!

Welcome to the site.

I'd suggest you do a search around for other threads about people/sites providing the sorts of services you're offering. People 'round here are passionate about distribution, and well informed about the challenges and effort involved in it. You're likely going to have very tough questions asked and you should be prepared to have answers beyond the standard "SEO!" response.

Also, I think if you read the following link, you'll find an advertising banner is not allowed with a Basic Membership such as yours:

http://www.indietalk.com/index.php?page=memberships

CraigL

What separates you from other film sites? What makes you unique? What makes you different from the other "popular" sites?

I've seen plenty of sites like this, many that have failed. How are you going to get filmmakers and viewers over to your site? How are you going to convince them not to go to another site? What's your plan to make the site grow?

Also, like CraigL said, you cannot do a signature unless you are a premiere member. It's the rules.

Signatures are only allowed by Premiere Members. If you are not Premiere, do not try to add a signature to your post by adding it at the end of your message.

From the IndieTalk rules.

Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up on the signatures! They have been removed. :)

Hey ChimpPhobia! Lots of great questions! Reel Indie can be thought of as a Kickstarter, Facebook, and Netflix for independent film. One of the problems that a lot of filmmakers face is getting people to know about their film and the whole "story behind the story". On our site you will be able to chronicle everything from the fundraising, through the entire production, and then be able to view the finished film. Kind of like on online Blu-ray.

The site was made in our effort to try and solve a lot of the problems involved in making a movie. Much of these problems consist of raising money, marketing, finding cast and crew, and distributing. We want to provide all of this under one roof, essentially giving independent filmmakers a base to work from. Other sites are strictly distribution, crowdfunding, etc. and they've been enormously helpful to filmmakers, no doubt about it. But when you go to Netflix or other VOD sites and see an independent film to watch, you don't really know anything about it. With Reel Indie you can explore the timeline of the film, learning about their process from day one all the way to the finished film. The more you know about the film and the struggle and all of the creativity that went into it, the more you want to watch the film and support the filmmaker. Another thing, we will not be taking a cut from the filmmaker's movie if they choose to distribute on our site.

To develop and grow a community of filmmakers and viewers to the site will take time, of course. Without going into too much detail, I can tell you a lot of what we will be doing is grassroots marketing. Reaching to filmmakers on forums such as this, engaging in our local filmmaking community, etc. We are filmmakers ourselves and love meeting other like-minded people. We also think the nature of the site is enough to at least get people interested and talking and provide constructive criticism. We want to be able to help in any way we can!

We are not exclusive. If a filmmaker raised money on our site or posts their journey, they are free to go somewhere else to distribute their movie or vice-versa. It's their film and they should be able to do whatever they want with it. We encourage independent filmmakers to make money off their film and get their film out there in any way possible.

Thanks for your questions! You're a filmmaker and extremely active on this site and in the community, what do you think of Reel Indie? What do you want to see happen with independent film distribution, fundraising, etc.? Would you use the site, and why? What do you think are the biggest challenges making a film? Marketing a film? Distributing a film? Don't have to answer all of those, but I'd love to know what do you think needs to be done to help indie filmmakers?

Hey mussonman! Here is a short video that explains it better than I ever could.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvmwacjGGO8

A very wise man, Lloyd Kaufman, explains how independence is in danger when it comes to independent film. So yes, independence is hard to come by in the independent film world.

To add to Sir Kaufman...independent film has been hijacked, like everything else, by the studio system. Image, Weinstein company, Sony Pictures, etc. are not independent. Sundance is not an independent film festival. What the world thinks of true independent film is just repackaged Disney shit.

Thanks for the in-depth response! Sounds like you have things fairly planned out. I really like the idea of a site that will do crowd-funding, marketing, finding cast and crew, and distributing the film.

Without going into too much detail

Could you go into more detail?

Thanks for your questions! You're a filmmaker and extremely active on this site and in the community, what do you think of Reel Indie? What do you want to see happen with independent film distribution, fundraising, etc.? Would you use the site, and why? What do you think are the biggest challenges making a film? Marketing a film? Distributing a film? Don't have to answer all of those, but I'd love to know what do you think needs to be done to help indie filmmakers?

What do I think of "Reel Indie"? I think it's a neat idea. While seemingly ambitious to a fault, I think it's a great idea.
What do I want to see with distribution and fundraising? I want to see directors thinking ahead and having a well thought out distribution plan before they even start production, and putting together an interesting and professional looking crowd-funding campaign unlike all of the others.
Why would I use a site like this? I'd use a site like this to raise money, put together, and distribute my film(s).
The biggest challenge of a filmmaker to me is getting your film seen and earning your money back.

Best of luck! :)

what do you think of Reel Indie?

It's a concept. It looks good, but there's not enough meat there to have even a fairly educated impression of what it is. In short, I'm concerned. I don't see the quid pro quo. Who pays for this service?

The concept is good, it's the execution that will determine whether it's another under-performing, unrealistic, me too service (or collection of services) that no one needs or whether it becomes the next big thing in film production.

What do you want to see happen with independent film distribution, fundraising, etc.?

Personally, I'd like to see someone develop a distribution system with the independent filmmaker in mind. Keep it business, quality and audience orientated. Much like what a mini-major would do for smaller films. Develop a symbiotic relationship with filmmakers, cinemas, VOD and home entertainment customers.

On the smaller end, just having a place where filmmakers can put their films on a VOD and home entertainment distribution system where they can promote their own film and keep a large majority with small turn about times on the money.

For fundraising, having streams of people willing to invest and/or donate to films. Where they can find the projects that they are passionate about and donate. Though, it's not like there's a lot of motivated people out there who are just itching and looking for opportunities to give their money away, so I might as well file this under "Fantasy Flick". An investor platform though may be worthwhile to encourage financially viable projects instead of the typical deadbeat "Give me money so I can buy a camera and shoot random crap no one, even the filmmakers cares about"

Would you use the site, and why?

If it aligned with my goals, yes.

What do you think are the biggest challenges making a film? Marketing a film? Distributing a film?

It's always money and access. Skills does come into the equation, but first and foremost, money and access.

I'd love to know what do you think needs to be done to help indie filmmakers?

There's already more films being made each year than will be watched. Independent filmmakers really need some sort of advisory committee where filmmakers can submit their plans, these advisers can help guide those filmmakers to help them make a film people actually want to see.

Of course there are filmmakers who just want to make films for themselves. So you're not going to please everyone.

Hey Sweetie! Thanks for the honest feedback.

Who pays for this service?

Reel Indie will only take 3% of the crowdfunding in order to keep the site running. We hope to eliminate this entirely further down the road.

Personally, I'd like to see someone develop a distribution system with the independent filmmaker in mind. Keep it business, quality and audience orientated. Much like what a mini-major would do for smaller films. Develop a symbiotic relationship with filmmakers, cinemas, VOD and home entertainment customers.

On the smaller end, just having a place where filmmakers can put their films on a VOD and home entertainment distribution system where they can promote their own film and keep a large majority with small turn about times on the money.

This is EXACTLY what we are going for. VOD distribution is mostly geared towards acquiring major studio films or titles that can be turned into a profit because they have mass appeal potential. This is because VOD platforms take a cut of the distribution and want the most popular titles available. They are business-oriented and that's completely understandable, BUT the result is that some filmmakers will get screwed and left without distribution. Reel Indie differs in that we ARE filmmakers and our primary drive is to support independent filmmakers. We are launching the platform that we always wanted to see, which is strictly for the filmmaker, how to support them, how to solve a multitude of problems in the process, etc. and NOT how we can profit from their work.

For fundraising, having streams of people willing to invest and/or donate to films. Where they can find the projects that they are passionate about and donate.

By being exclusive to independent films and filmmakers, we will be able to cultivate a community of like-minded individuals who support indie film. With other crowdfunding platforms there are hundreds of different products and projects all trying to compete for attention. But by being purely focused on independent films then we can provide a place for investors only interested in film.

ReelIndie.org

twitter.com/reelindiemovies

Last edited:
Reel Indie will only take 3% of the crowdfunding in order to keep the site running. We hope to eliminate this entirely further down the road.

That's quite fair.

They are business-oriented and that's completely understandable, BUT the result is that some filmmakers will get screwed and left without distribution. Reel Indie differs in that we ARE filmmakers and our primary drive is to support independent filmmakers. We are launching the platform that we always wanted to see, which is strictly for the filmmaker, how to support them, how to solve a multitude of problems in the process, etc. and NOT how we can profit from their work.

I'm not the kind of person who expects distributors to do their work for no return. In fact, I'm skeptical of anyone offering to do something without the quid-pro-quo (hence my question before). As a matter of fact, I prefer to have a symbiotic relationship where a distributor is looking to make as big a profit as they can, so long as it ALSO means that my profit is also growing larger at the same time.

I'd like to see two models offered.

1). Full service. Charge a premium for this (say 30-50%) where you are responsible for driving financing, marketing, pre-sales, merchandising sales, post-sales to a production. This is similar to how a studio would do their business, but instead of financing it yourself, finance it through crowd funding and let the potential clients decide what gets funding. In other words, it'll encourage film makers to make what people want to see. This gives you the budget to be able to hire professionals to do the marketing and PR work that most filmmakers have no hope in achieving results.

2). Bare-Bones service. Charge 3-5% for usage of the infrastructure. There is no expectation that you will send clients to the production for financing or sales. For those filmmaking groups who want to maximize their potential upside, do all the work themselves and be responsible for all the results.

What I see is a lot of sites like this wanting to charge full service rates and provide bare bones materials. I, and I'm sure many others, don't have any interest in being charged studio rates for back yard service. I'm glad to see you're not going down that path.

By being exclusive to independent films and filmmakers, we will be able to cultivate a community of like-minded individuals who support indie film. With other crowdfunding platforms there are hundreds of different products and projects all trying to compete for attention. But by being purely focused on independent films then we can provide a place for investors only interested in film.

In my opinion, you need to find a way to make independent films profitable. Decrease the down side and mitigate losses. Put some sort of system in place that forces this to happen to increase the chance of success, otherwise, you run into the likely position where the first bunch of film makers that take advantage of your investors burn them and make steaming piles of dog**** ruining your entire platform you've spent time and money building.

I can tell you, the majority of film makers out there are more than happy to take the gold (money) you've organized and turn it into lead to get themselves a payday without a care in the world regarding a return for your investors.

How are you going to protect the investors and the customers? They've the two most precious resources in your entire venture.

The problem with all this thinking is it moves you closer to how the studio system already works, which by my guess, exactly what you wanted to avoid in the first place.

Who said film distribution would be easy, right?

Hey Sweetie! Thanks again for your feedback. You made a lot of great points and what you have explained has been a big part of what we had to consider while putting Reel Indie together.

Full Service.... This is similar to how a studio would do their business, but instead of financing it yourself, finance it through crowd funding and let the potential clients decide what gets funding. In other words, it'll encourage film makers to make what people want to see.

We COMPLETELY understand what you mean! You have a great point. This was one of the most difficult things we had to consider. The problem that we had with doing something like this, and the reason we decided against it, is that it creates a divide between filmmakers getting full third-party promotion and filmmakers that don't. This makes certain films get precedence over others on our platform. While it can be justified by saying certain films of higher quality deserve greater promotion, we decided that we want everyone to be given an equal chance. We also don't want to carry a studio-like attitude, deciding what people should and shouldn't see.

A good example of the side-effects of singular promotion is Vimeo On Demand. They are a great platform for independent films. But ever since their launch earlier this year, "Some Girls" (their first feature on their new platform) has been incredibly promoted, but has seemingly pushed other independent films to the wayside. Granted they are most likely using "Some Girls" with its name-actors as a way to attract viewers to the platform. Makes perfect sense, but we want to provide some equality among independent films, whether good or bad, high-quality or low. We will be promoting ALL of the films on our site and have incorporated some genre-related trailers on our site to play before other feature films in an effort to promote everyone's film.

How are you going to protect the investors and the customers? They've the two most precious resources in your entire venture.

Great question! On the investment end, people will only contribute to a project IF they believe in the project to begin with and/or if it's something they want to see. On the viewer's end, having the entire production process laid out for their access will provide a HUGE amount of information on the film before you commit to watching it. With other VOD platforms you only get the trailer to base your decision. This helps enormously to protect the viewer against watching something they're not interested in, whereas only having a trailer to base your decision on could lead to feeling duped. If only we could have gotten more information on "Independence Day" before we were lured into theaters by the awesome trailer... :lol:

reelindie.org

twitter.com/reelindiemovies

Back