• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch W.I.P. reel

Second rough cut here:

https://vimeo.com/54700095
pw: luggage_12345

Notes on second:
Door opening with director's name is placeholder for clean HD original, incoming.
First timelapse will be changing to plain star rotation initially, then bursting into trails.
Second timelapse still needs aeroplane-light removal.
Various other changes; still WIP
Still need to add job titles.

Original post preserved below this line:

First render of a work-in-progress reel. :blush:

I still need to figure out what to do about the mixed SD & HD footage. Prolly export the HD as SD and re-import, 'cos stretching the SD out looks pretty terrible.

Not sure what kind of reel to call this. It's more of a general filmmaker reel*, I 'spose, than cine reel - and tbh, my footage ain't all that 'cos I'm typically b-cam and end up with the lame-o coverage. Shooting a werewolf flick coming up in a few weeks, though, that will be very cool to add.

https://vimeo.com/54130172
pw: luggage_12345

Opinions welcome on my first quick run :)

* Edit: general filmmaker reel - what I mean is that it shows many things, such as multi-cam live event coverage, directorial bent, and obviously elemets of camerawork... though not all of the camerawork is mine. Some of the SD is not, for example. Not even sure how to declare all that. Heh.

Last edited:
hmm, I can't spell. All fixed. :blush:

I've already added several changes (including resizing) to a newer version (not up yet) which is waiting on new & better timelapse.

Probably will end up with a static page at the end listing everything in order. Tried a mockup of titling clips as they appeared, but more time spent reading those than viewing clips.

Anyway, still WIP - I need sexier footage in general lol. All in good time. :)

h

I've already added several changes (including resizing) to a newer version (not up yet) which is waiting on new & better timelapse.

Can't wait to see! There's an old adage about opening with your best stuff and ending with your second best stuff. I think the band footage, the animal/women totems, or the nun laughing ranks near the top, so I'd open with one of those. I loved your end footage, it's quite literal but really stylized as well.

Probably will end up with a static page at the end listing everything in order. Tried a mockup of titling clips as they appeared, but more time spent reading those than viewing clips.

:)
I think you could extend the reel to 2 minutes then you should be able to add decipherable titles rather than the static descriptive page. I fear the info will be lost at the end because peeps only expect to see contact info, there.

Look forward to final cut!

Wonderful variety! For a reel, you want to make sure you indicate what primary role you had in each of the clips.

Very nice! I like bird's idea for adding titles over each new set of imagery. I think if it's just one or two words, listing your primary job description, then it shouldn't distract from watching the actual footage.

One thing I might change would be to have as many cuts as possible line up exactly with the timing of the music. Cut on the beat, make it a music video kinda-thing.

I'm not sure what the issue is with the mixing of SD/HD. No matter what you export to, the SD will always be SD. Exporting to HD shouldn't make it worse. Hmm, I dunno what's goin' on there.

BTW, I'd be happy to lend assistance on this one. Hit me up, if you want. :)

I'm not sure what the issue is with the mixing of SD/HD. No matter what you export to, the SD will always be SD. Exporting to HD shouldn't make it worse. Hmm, I dunno what's goin' on there.

Project is in a 1080p sequence, so any imported SD footage has to be stretched a lot to make it fit.

I'll take you up on that offer when I get more footage in, btw. Have a few new pieces coming in soon. :)

Gonna stick with the 100 second song for now ('cos that's how long it actually is), but everyone's had great thoughts so far. I appreciate it. Adding the clip-by-clip text attribution will work out, and I sure do need to move things around. Was trying to group similar positions together.

Btw, Bird, that animal/women thing is from one of Jeff Palmer's vids. Did some camera on that. He's an amazingly creative director. :cool:

Back