[Community Project] Schedule

OK, time to plan my summer vacation...

I'm free ALL OF JULY! Was planning on shooting being done by Aug.

What are some basic outlines for dates?

Footage uploaded for edit Aug 1.

What else?

I'm free through most of June (inter-semester break). I may shoot before then if my actress and I get some free time. I will have time for some retakes and whatnot through July, but I'd aim to be done before then (i'll be studying and working, so very little time for filming).

This sounds good.

There's no reason why they have to all be made at the same time. If people shoot theirs and are then able to post clips of their footage, then it will A) allow people to give some feedback, and B) allow the other directors to think about which aesthetic parts they want to try and emulate.

I do think it's important, however, that we get the viral video shot first. Mainly because it's a prop in a handful of the locations, but also because I think it will, to some extent, inform how the characters react to the idea. I'm not directing, but I'd like each of the actors to have seen the video, so that their character has a point of reference for what they're discussing.

July may be a good time for us to be shooting as well, maybe late June. 8/1 as a final delivery date is great. May through early June is pretty busy, but with time for prep.

Happy coincidence -- those dates all work well for me, too. And I agree with Nick -- the viral footage should be shot first, and be available for all units before their shoot.

Schedule Made: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...NYl50NQgEVen_Ky-vY-BFxoA7g/edit#gid=730529645
It's the second tab at the bottom of the "Role & Contact" sheet.

In all ya'll's spare time will you please research the deadlines for your local film festivals for late this year and early next year.

Thank you. :)

Also, so as to not lump all the work on Nick's 'puter all at once we gotta keep in mind some basic batching processes, which will also carry-over for audio editing, as well.

C&C, CF, & WalterB,
It looks like you three will have first opportunity to put something on Nick's plate, Batch One.

David & Wheat,
Your opportunities to submit will be available when Nick should have a decent handle on Batch Two.

Someone somewhere needs to step up for that opening sequence, "WOODLAND AREA".
As well as someone figuring out how we're going to do the UFO, AKA the fun hassle.
We need a defined VFX capabilities and process convo ASAP. The next ten weeks will go by like poo through a goose.

Unless you want something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=difiURAY3gE

... which I advise against. :)

Also...
By what process will you guys be using to get your clips to Nick for editing?
Dropbox?

Last edited:
In this area, my favorite fest is Virginia Film Fest, and their deadline is in late August. There are a couple other fests closer to me, but they're kinda bougie. I'd actually prefer to drive a couple hours to attend a festival that we fit better in.

Nah, forget 2015. I'll send them a rough cut and see if they're interested. Maybe, maybe not.

For film fests, I think it's of great importance that the filmmaker is in presence. And on that note, there are MANY fests that I can attend, so for my unit, it doesn't have to be in Virginia, just not too far.

Think we can collectively agree on giving spin-offs freebie passes?

Maybe you can expand on your given CARL and SOPHIE characters and make your own short before the deadlines in 12 - 16 weeks?

Theoretically this short lays the foundation for a full feature, so allowing/encouraging any one of the unit directors to expand on their characters is actually a good thing.

Right?

Doable? Eh... ?! :)

P.S. I just updated the Timeline Calendar with those two deadlines.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...NYl50NQgEVen_Ky-vY-BFxoA7g/edit#gid=730529645

Last edited:
This is the schedule I've just run past my team.

-Meeting next Sunday (June 8)
-Shoot on June 28th (a saturday)
-July 1 (Tuesday) for retakes

I was planning to do go through my footage after the shoot to check if anything needs to be re-shot. I would do a rough edit to help gauge if anything doesn't flow too well (and suggest to the editor the vision I had in mind) in this time.

However, do Nick/the editor (Cracker?) want the footage run by them first to see if there's anything they want redone? If so, is my 3 day window too short? It's the most ideal dates for me and my team, and I don't want to have to have to re-shoot days for such a small scene. If needbe, I can find another date, but I'd like to avoid it.

Wheaty: If you would like, between my meeting and shoot date, I could get some photos of location and run some rough storyboards/shot lists by you? I'm happy to just do it my own way, but you may want to check things to help keep everything more consistent?

Last edited:
I've never had the opportunity to look at footage and ask for a pickup. That would be quite the luxury. If it's possible for us to do that, yeah, that'd be great. But in the tiny-budget world, I think it's normal that when you wrap, you're wrapped, no additional photography. In that scenario, the editor just has to work with what they've got, cest' la vie!

A normal project would also have communication between the director and the editor as to how the film will be shot and edited, but given number of cooks in the kitchen (sorry, terrible analogy) on this, such clarity is a bit harder to achieve. How I would edit the scene likely differs from how you would. So, if it works with you, I'll endeavour to consult you with the footage after our first day, to see if there's anything that stands out as wrong or missing for how you want to edit it.

A normal project would also have communication between the director and the editor as to how the film will be shot and edited, but given number of cooks in the kitchen (sorry, terrible analogy) on this, such clarity is a bit harder to achieve. How I would edit the scene likely differs from how you would. So, if it works with you, I'll endeavour to consult you with the footage after our first day, to see if there's anything that stands out as wrong or missing for how you want to edit it.

Sounds great! :)

Hi folks,

Like I might have mentioned earlier, May was a little nuts and was shooting an unexpected project last week.

Our current plan is to shoot our pages after July 21st when I am back from a short stint in LA.

This should keep us on pace for 8/1 deliverables.

Getting caught up on the other threads over this week. I'll be gone again right after the 4th.

Back