• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Option/Script Question

I'd like to write a script based on some songs/album by an artist. The characters and basic story were great and I'd like to link them together and make a feature length out of it. How would I go about getting the approval/rights from the artist to do this? I have the contact information for the agent/manager. Would that be the best route to take? Also, I really don't know how to put it in the e-mail so I won't get shot down outright from the agent/manager on the first contact. If you have any suggestions for that or both questions, please let me know. Thanks...

Jerboa said:
I'd like to write a script based on some songs/album by an artist. The characters and basic story were great and I'd like to link them together and make a feature length out of it. How would I go about getting the approval/rights from the artist to do this? I have the contact information for the agent/manager. Would that be the best route to take? Also, I really don't know how to put it in the e-mail so I won't get shot down outright from the agent/manager on the first contact. If you have any suggestions for that or both questions, please let me know. Thanks...

I think before you contact the agent/manager, you should write the script. You don't need their approval to write it, just to use the music in the film. So, I'd write it and rewrite it until it is as close to perfect as possible, then send them a letter or e-mail saying you've written a script based their music and would like to get their backing before you try and shop it.

If you contact them with just an idea, they have no idea how serious or good a writer you are. I don't think they'd agree to let you use the music just based on an idea. But, if you write a good script, they might be willing to do so (at a cost to whatever studio would purchase the script).

That's just my opinion.

But in doing that you risk never getting permission, and having wasted your time writing the script. And if you're basing your script on characters in the song...you ABSOLUTELY need permission...whether you use the music or not.

Personally I would contact the artist...most musicians are pretty cool toward other artistic notions...

And if it's a smaller indie band...they'll most likely say sure.

But don't waste your time writing without permission.

You Are Alone

To clarify, it's a pretty established artist, granted he's somewhat underground as far as popularity, but also somewhat well known. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Email me if you'd like...I've dealt with a number of musicians...most of the people on the You Are Alone score have a big indie following...all were easy to deal with.

Though I did cut a few tracks because the musicians were behaving like the Rolling Stones.

Back