• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Top 15 Mistakes Beginner Filmmakers Make

Same here. I love Dariou's advice. His is some of the best. I made a lot of those mistakes myself, the first time, and I see other filmmakers do it as well, and try to help them out. White Walls and Unnecessary Insert Shots, he mentioned seem to be the most commonly made mistakes, from what I see, but that's my perspective.

Another common mistake that other directors have made I've seen, that was not mentioned, is that they will storyboard a scene, and then when they get to the location, the location is not built in a way that will work for their storyboards at all. Such as planning on having high angle shots, but then when they get to the location, the ceiling is too low, or having shots that are just not possible cause it is either too small, or you cannot get all the lights and the equipment to fit in the location, while at the same time, hiding it, in the types of shots you have planned. This results in having to re-storyboard, and re-plan all the blocking on the fly, and the shots can come out poor because of it. This is also one of the most common I would say.

Last edited:
Back