• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Readymade: a short documentary about selfies and self-perception

Hey guys,

I recently shot a 2 minute documentary about self-perception between Singapore, Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) and Milan (Italy). More specifically I filmed people taking selfies in different settings and developed an idea around the way we perceive ourselves.

I'd love to hear what you guys think about the shooting, writing, and overall idea of the video. Be as critical as you deem appropriate, I won't get hurt

Thank you very much in advance!
Olmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM3nfEZybJo

Things I really enjoyed about this:
- the topic you chose to write about (I love the way it contrasts the superficiality that a selfie represents)
- the subjects in 80% of the clips
- the music

Things that need improvement:
- steadiness of the shots (I'm assuming you were zooming from far out, which usually makes it harder to get a stable shot)
- image quality (I watched your two other documentaries and I think they're good enough for you to make an investment on some new equipment)

Your voice over was also pretty good, but I'm sure that as you go forward with these (are you going to?), it will get even better. Good job overall!

Hi Locuros!
Thank you for the feedback. To answer your questions:

1. Yes, I think I'll be filming a few more of these, so hopefully my voice-overs will keep getting better
2. The shaking is partly do to me zooming from very far. As bad as this sounds, the shooting of these videos starts looking kinda creepy after I've been filming someone specifically for more than 10 seconds. For this reason I tend to use my camera's zoom as much as I can to go unnoticed.

About the image quality, I'm looking to upgrade videocamera. Does anybody have any advice for a solid videocamera selling under $900-1000?

You're good enough that you should start taking a jump to the next level of kit. Two elements I would focus on:

1. Stabilise the shot.
2. Sound. Aaaaarrghhhhh. What potato did you record your voice on?

In terms of your stuff, I would recommend going to a Canon dealer and buying the best Canon camera with lens and tripod that you can afford. You'll have some good options.

I would strongly recommend buying a used Manfrotto video tripod rather than new. Manfrotto video tripods are so solid that if there is a zombie pandemic, the only thing that will be left are zombies and Manfrotto gear. And possibly zombies making movies using old Manfrotto tripods.

I have an 075B which is heavy but extremely durable and costs less than a new tripod plus I bought a used fluid head (also Manfrotto).

Good luck as looking at your stuff, I think you should be taking things to the next level.

Back