MONSTERS

I just poured over the extras on the Blu Ray. The documentaries on the shoot, editing, and visual effects are inspiring. I highly recommend this, if for the extras and nothing else.

I just poured over the extras on the Blu Ray. The documentaries on the shoot, editing, and visual effects are inspiring. I highly recommend this, if for the extras and nothing else.

Sounds great, might have to pick it up.

I'm seeing a live Q & A with Gareth Edwards on Sunday at Empire Big Screen. I'm looking forward to it, should be informative :)

Its available on Netflix right now.

Edwards' VFX workflow is pretty straight forward... He models the hard surface stuff in 3DS Max (or buys a model from turbosquid, like the jet in the river) and the organic stuff is sculpted in Zbrush. From all the videos and BTS stuff Ive seen he's animating everything in 3DS Max using Reactor for the physics and simulations (tentacles and collisions). The rendering was done with Mentalray and Vray... 2D effects and all the compositing was done in After Effects.
All of this can be done on a midrange priced PC.

I think the movie was great... the ending was a bit weak, but overall its a good example of low budget/indie filmmaking.

He used the Adobe Production Premium CS4 or CS5 suite for this..
If you go on amazon and look up the Production Suite, you will find a video on the left, which describes his experiences with it!

I saw a Q & A with Gareth Edwards on Sunday so I can now put the budget issue to rest!

The production budget, he estimates but cannot be sure, was $250,000 and then another $250,000 for the Dolby sound mix, film printing...etc, ie the post stuff. Then there was a separate marketing budget that he didn't know. He seemed bemused as to where people had drawn the $15,000 budget from. The film was also totally financed by Vertigo.

His tip for aspiring filmmakers was to never put your own money into a film but always be willing to ;)

Back