Community Project

My greatest regret, during my time on IndieTalk, has been my failure to get a community project off the ground. We came pretty close with the organ lottery project, but it never quite worked out. The past few days has seen a new member trying to get another community project off the ground, but is, I suspect, going to fall into a number of inevitable traps.

I am currently studying for the final exams of my academic career (*sob*) so am just sitting in libraries all day, every day. I'd like something to break it up a little bit (in addition to the couple of projects I am, slowly, working on). So I've come up with a new way to do a community project.

If you would like to participate in this project as a director (or in a shooting capacity), I need the following information out of you:

What actors are at your disposal? [i.e. two men and a woman]
What locations are at your disposal? [i.e. a house, a bar, an abandoned quarry]
Can you record decent quality sound? [i.e. yes]

Please be conservative with your responses. In order for this project to be realistic and work, I need to be sure that people can (and will) shoot their scenes in the allocated manner.

Once I have a bunch of participants, I will go away and write a short script that incorporates these various shooting units into a single coherent story. I will ensure that no member has more than a maximum of two days shooting (though generally will try and keep it to what can be done in a single day). If you cannot record decent quality sound, I will give you no dialogue to shoot. Everything will be kept as simple as possible (within the constraints of a very tricky project!) so that we have the maximum chance of success.

Additionally, if you are not willing to direct (or arrange the production of) a shooting unit, there are loads of other roles that are required:

Composer
Editor - individual units should edit their scenes but a central editor will put it all together and try and ensure that the editing matches throughout.
Post-sound
VFX - will not be VFX heavy, but we can incorporate some if there's someone who can supply the talent.
Marketing - with so many cooks, would be great to have someone responsible for pushing the film.

In order to make this attempt as successful as possible, I will only accept forum regulars into the scheme. New members (and I'm talking people who've only been around a few weeks) are welcome to input and help out, but it is of paramount importance that I know people will stick around and see their unit through to completion.

The deadline for signing up is 18th April 2014, giving people two weeks, after which we will allocate two months (and a bit) to complete production of your scenes, meaning a shooting deadline of 30th June 2014. As I have said, should be no more than a day of filming over the course of two months, so if you can't commit to that then please don't!

I really hope this works, and I think it can. Let me know if you have any thoughts and get signing up!

Current units:
David.rhsc (San Francisco, USA)
cheeseandachallenge (Wellington, New Zealand)
Cracker Funk (Richmond, USA)
wheatgrinder
Flicker Pictures (Boston, USA)
mad_hatter (Birmingham, England)
Dreadylocks (Omaha, USA)
Lucky Hardwood (New Orleans, USA)
ChimpPhobiaFilms (Ohio, USA)

Fence-sitting-maybe-merchants:
WalterB
Dreadylocks
sfoster
mad_hatter
ChimpPhobiaFilms
ItDonnedOnMe
jax_rox
Flicker Pictures

Music team
JoshL
mike mcguill

Sound team
mike mcguill

Sound maybes
AudioPostExpert
Alcove Audio

Marketing maybes
RayW

And remember to fill in this form if you want to have a shooting unit in the film!

(Of course, if you're local to an existing unit, why not team up?)

Last edited:
Ok, so the final list of participants reads as follows:

david.rhsc
cheeseandchallenge
ChimpPhobiaFilms
Cracker Funk
Lucky Hardwood
sfoster
wheatgrinder
WalterB

If any of you no longer want (or have time) to be part of this project, please let me know asap! Conversely, if I've missed anyone out, please let me know asap!

Actually, the film will only be as good as the "worst" contribution to the project; the weak link, so to say.

Not sure those are mutually exclusive ;)

Last edited:
and I am of course still in as far as post is concerned, either as lead or adjunct composer! Hell, I'd be happy to just do a diegetic song! But you can worry about post when you get to post!

Sorry, but I really don't think I can get involved this time around. It's something that I'd love to get involved with, but I just can't guarantee that I'll have the time or resources to do anything worthwhile.

I'll certainly be keeping an eye on the thread though, so if anything develops that I might be able to help with then I'll try to get involved then. I'll certainly be looking forward to reading the script.

Sorry, but I really don't think I can get involved this time around. It's something that I'd love to get involved with, but I just can't guarantee that I'll have the time or resources to do anything worthwhile.

I'll certainly be keeping an eye on the thread though, so if anything develops that I might be able to help with then I'll try to get involved then. I'll certainly be looking forward to reading the script.

Sad to lose you, but I hope you stick around for some script editing work ;)

First draft should be dropping this evening...

Ok, slightly earlier than expected...

Very rough first draft!

Don't read this until you've read the script:

First things first, the script is very unpolished. I just wanted to get on paper an idea of how the story might be structured, and how the different units would interact. My thought was that each unit would then link to another unit - not by having the characters necessarily directly converse - but by referencing one another, and then the film builds on that reference. Whilst some of the scenes are written for specific shooting units, it should be said that I haven't quite got enough threads for all the signed up shooting units - I want to find a way of introducing another strand to the story which isn't just shoehorned in there. Of course, those people who don't have access to sound gear might be well served shooting B-roll or something similar.

The ending is deliberately ambiguous. I want to set up the idea, through Mark, that there might be a human (or human acknowledged) reason for the UFOs appearance, but then suggest something more extraterrestrial with the Samuel thread. As we've previously discussed, this film is a potential prologue to another project, but it's important it still works in its own right. I think that a nuanced, ambiguous ending is exactly what I like - but I know that others feel differently about this and demand something more satisfying and solid. Obviously, when it comes to low-budget sci-fi, I think it's easier (and cheaper) to imply something, rather than show it.

People may also be disappointed with the brevity of each shooting unit's scenes. As has been mentioned on this thread, this film has the potential to be a really awkward length - neither short enough for shorts programming nor long enough to be a feature. I kept the script to 12 pages, which equates to roughly 2 pages per shooting unit (although that varies somewhat). As I said in my original post, it's important, to me, that we're realistic about this project, and I think that means trying to each get our shoot done in a single day - hence why I've kept each units scenes so brief. Of course, let me know if you feel like it has to be longer in order to properly develop the characters and their situations.

Anyhow, yeah, as I say - unpolished and imperfect, but let me know what you like and/or hate and then we can tinker and play with it. Heavier sci-fi? More drama? More action? More sex, violence, profanities, animals, puns, props, pyjamas, whatever!

I think, for what you're going for, this is good.

I think you've actually taken on a really difficult task, in trying to create a coherent story that spans the globe, while keeping the script to a minimum. Each segment adds a little something and doesn't feel out of place. I was a bit worried that certain segments, such as that in Holland, would seem out of place; they don't.

For me, the one stumbling block is the New Zealand segment. How has the student figured out the location? Surely not only from the viral video? And why is he taken seriously? Then, who is Vern, and how does he know (or know of) this student? The fact that this character is so far away, kind-of makes it seem a little unbelievable. What were your thoughts on the back-story for this?

All in all though, this is good and should make an interesting watch.

I think, for what you're going for, this is good.

I think you've actually taken on a really difficult task, in trying to create a coherent story that spans the globe, while keeping the script to a minimum. Each segment adds a little something and doesn't feel out of place. I was a bit worried that certain segments, such as that in Holland, would seem out of place; they don't.

For me, the one stumbling block is the New Zealand segment. How has the student figured out the location? Surely not only from the viral video? And why is he taken seriously? Then, who is Vern, and how does he know (or know of) this student? The fact that this character is so far away, kind-of makes it seem a little unbelievable. What were your thoughts on the back-story for this?

All in all though, this is good and should make an interesting watch.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ok, in my head it worked like this: Simon (NZ) is a physics student who has worked out where the video was shot and the trajectory of the craft as it disappeared into the forest. He's a bit of a nerd and suffers from anxiety, but he's pretty smart. Because he thinks he's worked out the location of the spaceship - and because he's the other side of the world and can't do anything himself - he calls up/emailing/posting-on-the-web anyone he can find on the internet who is investigating UFO sightings. That includes Robin, who is making the documentary, and Vern, who is a UFO hunter. Vern - who is as weird as a UFO hunter would be - is the only person who listens to him and goes to seek out the spaceship.

Does that make more sense?

Obviously, those are characters that need a bit more development. I kept Simon's part slight because I know that cheeseandchallenge has some difficulties with recording sound, but we can certainly add some production design (notes, maps, list of people to contact) which build some back story.

EDIT: I should also add that, because it's ended up being 6 American, 1 Dutch and 1 New Zealander, the round-the-world element of a project like this is pretty unfeasible - most audiences won't be able to distinguish between Virginia, Maryland, Ohio and Oregon. So my task has become trying to create a story which is made by lots of separate stories, woven together to a single purpose. I hope that makes some vague sense.

Last edited:
Number one: rough draft or no, I really could sense a coherent atmosphere that felt very natural throughout the piece. So well done on that. The dialog also for the most part felt casual and real.

Overall I think it both works and is quite shootable. Makes me wish even more that I could commit to be a part of it. sigh

On first read, I couldn't find much if anything to critique. Maybe the alien kid sounded weird in his dialog, but that's obviously intentional -- he's an alien, duh. Also the 'what the heck,' maybe I just have the lexicon of a sailor but that felt unnatural to me. Doesn't need to go all the way to 'fuck' but maybe something else slightly more profane? idk, I'm really picking nits here...

I second "what the heck". What the hell sounds (or what the...) sounds more realistic.
Some of the dialogue sounded a bit forced, particularly the dialogue on the beach. Perhaps if the alien elements are introduced in a more subtle manor, it might be more believable.
I didn't like the dialogue during the story with the "old man". Only because words like "prophecy" and "starcraft" seem a bit cliche. Perhaps the alien elements should be more subtle for the time being, to give it a bit of mystery.
I wish the characters would be more related though, and the transition from one character to another flowed really well, perhaps the character talking about a place, then cutting to that place where the scene with the next character takes place, or through a phone call, or something. But the transitioning from scene to scene didn't work for me.

I liked the ending, though. Really leaves the story hanging, which allows for perhaps this to be expanded upon with some sequels or 'episodes' to follow.

Also the 'what the heck,' maybe I just have the lexicon of a sailor but that felt unnatural to me. Doesn't need to go all the way to 'fuck' but maybe something else slightly more profane? idk, I'm really picking nits here...

You're right, 'What the heck?' was not the line that naturally sprung to mind. Like you, I normally wouldn't pause at ladling on the profanities, but I figure, with a project like this, they should be avoided. I plucked for heck cos it's one of the few non-swears I fucking know.

Lucky is right, 'What the...' will work nicely :)

Some of the dialogue sounded a bit forced, particularly the dialogue on the beach. Perhaps if the alien elements are introduced in a more subtle manor, it might be more believable.
I didn't like the dialogue during the story with the "old man". Only because words like "prophecy" and "starcraft" seem a bit cliche. Perhaps the alien elements should be more subtle for the time being, to give it a bit of mystery.
I wish the characters would be more related though, and the transition from one character to another flowed really well, perhaps the character talking about a place, then cutting to that place where the scene with the next character takes place, or through a phone call, or something. But the transitioning from scene to scene didn't work for me.

I liked the ending, though. Really leaves the story hanging, which allows for perhaps this to be expanded upon with some sequels or 'episodes' to follow.

I actually agree with you about the dialogue on the beach.

I wanted to have the film as a sliding scale from scepticism to total belief - but then twist slightly, at the end, to reveal that the sceptic may know more than he's letting on. I quite like that strategy, but I think that I shoehorned the alien and UFO stuff in too hard with that opening beach scene.

I'm not sure I necessarily agree about there not being enough mystery - I feel like there are lots of different answers and questions in play. I actually got the idea for that final thread from Jeff posting a link to the original Heaven's Gate website, so I wanted to try and replicate some of their language. But, yeah, I can see what you mean - as I was writing it, I kept thinking of that South Park episode about scientology, but not wanting to emulate the comedy. I think it's a tricky balance - they need to be shown to be cultlike followers, but try and do so without tipping into ridicule. As much as anything, that'll come across in the acting and direction. But I can certainly change the language around a bit ('starcraft' was very much a last resort!).

As for the flowing - I agree that each scene should be linked to the next one. I suspect that the flow will work better once we start thinking about shots. For example, the first beach scene ends with her mentioning a friend from art school and the next scene could open with a shot of the painting on an easel. I think that the transitions that you mention are not incompatible with the presentation of the story - one of the scenes is already linked by a phonecall, another by a location...etc, and then throw in some visual panache from the directors to tie it all together.

funny how we all read things differently.. lol.

As the unit who would be shooting the Oregon bits, I really dug what I might be given..
I have to point out to Dreaddy that the kids not an alien, he in a backwoods quazi-religious \ millennial survivalist cult or some such awesomeness. In then end they are just as wrong as everyone else.. or are they?

I gotta ask if its just me or does the ending have a big nod and a wink to the beginning of "The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy" wherein the earth is destroyed to make way for an intergalactic bypass. Sorta felt like the machines were about to pave over the poor kid if he doesn't get out of the way! That said, picking quazi religious theme backup "Clear The Way" has undertones of John The Baptist "making the way" for the Lord.. such symbol is awesome by the way..

The UK'isams threw me at first..

Smallholding = Small Farm
Tannoy = Lo-fi Loud speark aka "Bull Horn"

but I figure, with a project like this, they should be avoided.

baby-the-fuck-you-say.gif

I'm not sure I necessarily agree about there not being enough mystery - I feel like there are lots of different answers and questions in play. I actually got the idea for that final thread from Jeff posting a link to the original Heaven's Gate website, so I wanted to try and replicate some of their language. But, yeah, I can see what you mean - as I was writing it, I kept thinking of that South Park episode about scientology, but not wanting to emulate the comedy. I think it's a tricky balance - they need to be shown to be cultlike followers, but try and do so without tipping into ridicule. As much as anything, that'll come across in the acting and direction. But I can certainly change the language around a bit ('starcraft' was very much a last resort!).

Yeah. I think what I'm worried about is that if we're going to be creating a follow up to this that it doesn't go into a really predictable direction, and there be some truly bizarre Twin Peaks-esque "WTF?" twist instead of the traditional alien route where aliens either come and leave or just stay. I mean, Signs and War of the Worlds weren't bad, but there's only so much you can do with that formula.

then throw in some visual panache from the directors to tie it all together.

Agreed. I have a feeling it will be more tied together.

This came together quite nicely for a first draft, I'm getting excited now.

Firstly feedback on the New Zealand bit. The scene is quite ideal for me (seeing I can pretty much do it in my own bedroom :P). Couple of questions/suggestions:
1) Could Simon become a girl? Makes it a bit easier for me to find actors (the female actors I'm friends with are stronger than the male friends I have who do theatre - they tend to over-act a little more). I can find a male actor, it'll just mean a little more work in casting. Also, I'm always a fan of switching up stereotypical gender roles ;) Though I do have a male friend who probably looks great for the role - skinny, bearded chap - but he's not the strongest of actors. Just some thoughts there (again if needbe I'll track someone down)
2) Are we going to do anything to establish that this is New Zealand, other than having the previous scene mention New Zealand? Do I get some establishing shots (issue is Wellington city isn't international recognisable and just looks like any small city, really). Or would it be preferable to jump straight in.
3) I actually did just get a super bare-bones audio kit ordered (low-end mic + recorder). So dialogue should be okaaaay, esp given it'll be a closed environment. I might also suggest intercutting between my scene and the one with Vern? Helps it feel more coherent, and also can do some processing to the audio on Verns end to justify the potentially lower sound quality.

I second "what the heck". What the hell sounds (or what the...) sounds more realistic.
Yeah I second both of these. The dialogue on the beach feels a bit forced. Anytime I hear dialogue from cool kids like that in a film I cringe a bit - I guess I've just never met anyone who speaks like that (maybe that's cultural though? New Zealanders are stereotypically staunch and reserved).

a few practical observations:

For the cell phone scene \ and footage..

Being in a wooded area gives a very small view of the sky. Full night in a wooded area is freaking pitch black and not very interesting. Very little foreground\background to make any scale.

Set it in a big open clear cut, on a logging road.. I know just the kinda place..
img-3832.jpg

We also need a reason for the two guys to be out there with a camera and a cell phone? Also it would be much more fulfilling if it were a real scene OF the guys getting the phone footage rather than just the cell footage.

I like it already :)
Nice how you connected the scenes :)
(Reminds me a bit of openingscenes of Terminator 2: they are connected in a natural way as well.)
And how you used the Pyramid location without a scene with a few dozen extras acting as cult members: great thinking!
In 'my scene' a makeup artist could be added :)
(It could make the main character more annoying/arrogant ;) )

About showing the video going viral with some shots from around the world: it's not scripted: do you think the story doesn't needs it?
I can try to get a national TV show to record a little piece for it (no success garantueed).
I have a (filmmaker) friend living in Tokyo, so we can get Tokyo skylines and Japanese voice-overs as well. Besides that: English/American should be no problem. Russian, French, Dutch are in my grasp.
It could even be done without video footage: just radiostyle during short opening titles
and otherwise a great opportunity to make it a nice visual title sequence ;)

(Just some thoughts)

@Wheatgrinder:
adding a scene to the phonevideo would take away the ambiguouty (ok, I've no idea how to spell it :P ) of the video: it would make it real from the start.

Anyway: great to see how a basic idea about a UFO viral on april 1st leading to hoax and true believers has lead to this first draft :)

Last edited:
Back