Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > The Biz > Hollywood

Old 06-12-2018, 12:09 AM   #3091
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Solo 4/5

What a great movie.
Ron Howard is an awesome director and I went into this film with high expectations that were met 100%

Thats so cool, it doesn't happen very often where a movie is exactly as great as it should be.
And all of the stuff that you know will happen (e.g. han is going to wind up owning the millennium falcon) is still kept fresh! the scenes dont play out how you would expect them to, its a very nice touch.

ms stormborn from GoT and maeve from west world both have prominent roles and theres room for a sequel if the box office permits it... doesnt look likely but who knows, if this is a smash hit on blu ray then it will do great for a sequel.
sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 06-12-2018, 12:16 PM   #3092
Quality
Basic Member

Solo was a great movie. It only failed at the box office because that's what happens when you release a film on Memorial Day weekend. DISNEY!!
Quality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:35 PM   #3093
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

they didn't want to advertise solo while the last jedi was still bringing in money at the box office.
they really screwed over the marketing campaign and youre right it should've been pushed back a couple months
Old 06-12-2018, 12:39 PM   #3094
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Glad to hear it was good. I'm not a SW fan but you mention the timing etc. I will also mention the trailer SUCKED! Whenever there's some cheesy jokes in a trailer or humor that fails, to me, I figure... it's a trailer so they are giving us the best! So glad to hear the movie was better.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:51 PM   #3095
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

yeah i dont remember it for its comedy. a couple laughs in there though
Old 06-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #3096
TXH003
Basic Member

The Strangers: Prey at Night [Unrated] (2018) - 6.5/10

In my humble opinion, the movie is a solid sequel, but did not fully satisfy the expectations I had established based on the original movie, The Strangers (2008). Overall, the production effort is strong, but the story line is fairly predictable. With that said, the movie is a worthy one-time rental, especially for fans of Horror/Thriller movies, but future replay value is low.

Last edited by TXH003; 06-13-2018 at 10:11 PM.
TXH003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #3097
UneducatedFan
Basic Member

Lost River

6/10

Pretty decent directorial debut for Gosling. The canvas he used of location, style, etc. was pretty good.

Story was ok. Not terrible but not completely enthralling. Very much an "auteur" type film which makes sense since he wrote and directed it. Acting was good and he had professional actors in the lead roles. The cameos by non professional locals really added a natural flavor to it.
UneducatedFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 05:20 AM   #3098
BBfilms
Basic Member

carriers - not rating it that high really, it was watchable but the story wasnt great

it felt like a lot of nothing happened and your left wondering about all the loose ends (like what happened to bobby or the dad and girl, who where the masked people and how did their friend die, what happened at the makeshift hospital, why did truckers hunt down and kill that random man etc...) it feels like they either get there after everything already happened or leave without finding out what will happen

non of the charcaters are particularly likeble, the more interesting 3 are the 3 whose stories never get an ending

plus there seems to be a preface missing because at the end its talking about how the survivers are strangers but they did this whole journey together so its hardly like they are still strangers - it also never really goes into detail about how they found this 'stranger' and had them join the group anyway and started with her already intergrated in the group so to the audience she just a member of the group

it felt more like it should have been a meandering 'walking dead' style tv series where they could expand on the different characters/stories rather than a film
BBfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:13 AM   #3099
richy
Basic - Premiere Expired

Re-watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. 10/10

Why is this film so underrated? 51% Tomatometer? Dumb. Makes me question the validity of Rotten Tomatoes as well as my fellow man.

This is what movie magic is.

Doomed! The Untold Story of Roger Corman's The Fantastic Four. 9/10
Interesting. Along the lines of Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau or Lost in La Mancha

De Palma. 10/10
A must see, I think.

Last edited by richy; 06-16-2018 at 07:57 AM.
richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:42 PM   #3100
eomer41
Basic Member

Incredibles 2
8/10

Incredible too.
eomer41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #3101
UneducatedFan
Basic Member

Jumanji 2

6/10

Was aight. My teenagers liked it. Wife chuckled a few times.
UneducatedFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #3102
peacemaker
Basic Member

How to Be a Latin Lover - 7/10
peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #3103
BBfilms
Basic Member

Backcountry - rating quite low maybe 3/10

the camera work killed me, at first I though it looked cinematic and nicely coloured but the DOP was trying way too hard to be arty, half the shots arent in focus which is not only annoying but confusing (no one needs to see a leaf we want to see the characters) and the use of a steady cam even for shots that should be stationary was annoying... over all I feel motion sick and my eyes/head hurt by the end

as for the story, the characters where stupid and unlikeble, I actually WANTED the bear to kill her and by the end was disappointed that some how she bumbled her way to survival... it doesnt represent the REAL LIFE story at all

the bear was ok and looked cool, im glad they didnt use wolves (I know dogs are easy to train but im sick of the killer wolf trope now) but the bear suddenly attacking for no logical reason after not harming them for days makes makes no sense, it felt like 'crap its the last 10 minutes lets throw in a bear attack'

without the bad camera work it would be a ok but mediocre film mainly just due to character stupidity and unlikebleness but the camera work made it almost unwatchable
BBfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:34 AM   #3104
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Jurassic World 3/5

Paint by numbers jurassic park movie.. idk if its bc there have been so many of the series or what but this one was extremely predictable for me. I was able to call the outcome of pretty much every tense scene in the film. Oh the t-rex will appear in a few secs. yup there it is. Oh raptor is about to come. yup there he is right on schedule.

and uhh.. unfortnately there was no dinosaurs in the real world stuff.. like at all. very misleading.
In one of hte older movies there was a t-rex by someones pool, i was expecting something like that but no. the dinos were contained all film
Old 06-30-2018, 01:36 AM   #3105
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Nightcrawler

I really enjoyed this film the second time around. I enjoyed it the first time too but damn this film is good. Really great character driven writing that's well paced.