Need DOCUMENTARY ideas!

Yeah I'd definitely agree with you there. It's just I'm interested in a lot of things haha.

I am willing to travel for it and love traveling. I just want to make sure it's about something people actually want to know about or would be interested to see.

Any interesting people in your neighborhood/community? Good start for a "day in the life of" type documentary. Any interesting landmarks/tourist traps/businesses? Local bands worth talking to? Interesting local politics?

Any documentary is going to begin with homework about the final selected subject.

A) Begin doing homework in the documentary subjects to select that you could actually be paid to do beforehand - or - compensated afterwards.
http://www.google.com/webhp?source=....,cf.osb&fp=3369bfeac41cfa6a&biw=1599&bih=809

B) Do a documentary on researching your documentary selection process. End with a big tease toward actually beginning a "traditional documentary." Use it as a crowdsourcing video. :yes:

I'd make a documentary about how difficult it is to come up with an idea to make a documentary about. I mean, come on, man! Your subject is practically slapping you in the face!

Always wanted to do or see a doc about the roots of fear, what is scary, what horror means to different people, different filmmakers, what frightens the average Joe and Jane, and what keeps people up at night. Doesn't have to be a feature, short doc would do.

** having a bunch of people explain (individually) their worst nightmares or deepest fears in detail might lend itself to some cool abstract visuals and audioscapes...

Just one peanut from the peanut gallery!

Last edited:
Always wanted to do or see a doc about the roots of fear, what is scary, what horror means to different people, different filmmakers, what frightens the average Joe and Jane, and what keeps people up at night. Doesn't have to be a feature, short doc would do.

** having a bunch of people explain (individually) their worst nightmares or deepest fears in detail might lend itself to some cool abstract visuals and audioscapes...

Just one peanut from the peanut gallery!

Do this. Now. And you know I want in!

It's just I'm interested in a lot of things haha.
So put ten of the things you are interested in into a hat and
pull one out.

There's your documentary.

I have found that the docs I like the best are ones made by people
with a passion for the story. Even if I, personally, am not interested
I get caught up in the passion of the filmmaker and the people or
subject. Seems silly to me to try to make a doc about something
people actually want to know about or would be interested to see
if you, personally, don't have the passion to spend a year (or more)
of your life on it.

I'll give an example: I have no interesting at all in long distance hiking.
I know a guy who is passionate about that subject. He has made three
documentaries about three different long distance trails - I was the
editor on two of them. I still have no interest in long distance hiking
but I was (and am) fascinated with his passion for it. I have watched
several docs about long distance hiking and didn't really care because
got the feeling the filmmaker was doing it because he knows there
are people who are interested.

Randomly pick one of the things you are interested in and make a
doc from your passion. People will want to see it.

Why not do some interviews with yourself & your band about their influences, and how you all pulled on that to form up?

It could be half homage to influences, and half shameless self-promotion.

Hi Dennis,just found this site and saw your mesage on it...I have some good ideas that can make great documentary movies and would be glad to talk to you about it.

If you want to make money, pick a social justice issue or environmental issue and you will increase your chances significantly to receive grants, distribution and screen at festivals. I cannot tell you how much PR I have received on mine, just because of the subject matter.

Back