Can the INDIETALK community come together?

The Indietalk online community is one of the best I know and like any good community when they work together they can create something special.

Even over the past year there have been indie talk collaborations on certain members personal projects.

But can the whole indietalk community come together to write, direct an produce one film in which every indietalk member that wants to be involved has their part in the project.

It would be a film that's been made worldwide by many filmmakers for a common art.

The great thing about this community is everyone has their purpose and skill.

Is this something we can do by the end of 2013? Or is it an inconcievable dream?

In my personal opinion, the only way this could work is if the project is a collection of short films, all connected to each other in some way, but still a collection of completely independent short films from different directors and filmmakers from around the world.

Some of the ideas here like the alien invasion one where the news room would be the main setting and they would play news reports from around the world, I think could possibly work, but that essentially would be a collection of short films, much like the found footage compilation V.H.S., where you have a wrap around segment that ties all of the shorts together.

A traditional film with the same storylines and characters appearing throughout the film would be very hard to realize in the same way, it might be an interesting experiment, but would it result in a watchable film?

I think the best way to do this, would be to do something like The ABCs of Death, where they have a different short horror film for every letter in the alphabet, and each director has total control in their short segment, that has resulted in some fantastic pieces, for example one of them is a claymation short.

The same idea could be applied in many different ways, where you could have a bunch of different short films that are all connected by something, but still done in a way where every filmmaker would have total artistic control over their segment.

I think an anthology film would work great, it would be a great showcase for up and coming or even experienced filmmakers from all over the world, and if the finished movie is decent, it could stand a decent chance at getting distribution.
I think the fact that it would be an international collaboration would help in that sense.
Say a filmmaking group in Spain is making one of the segments, maybe they can attract a big Spanish actor to appear in the segment, that could mean distribution is Spain!

I would love to be involved in an anthology film like that, but like with all projects, it would need that one person or one team who in essence is running the ship.

How about an anthology film where each director would have total artistic control over their short, including choosing it's genre, they wouldn't all have to be the same genre necessarily, but still somehow connected, no matter how loosely?

A lotta people on here have DSLR's, so if it's shot on that (24p) I'm assuming, the entire thing could have the same quality.

I'd say everyone sends their footage to a single editor (experienced of course), so as not to screw anything up.

Technically the same quality... there's a broad range of skill levels here as well that would need to be addressed somehow in the story or submission requirements.

Technically the same quality... there's a broad range of skill levels here as well that would need to be addressed somehow in the story or submission requirements.

If we do the space pilots idea, then most just need to know how to frame and light a green screen :cool:

I'll be pushing this idea as long as this thread stays active.

A traditional film with the same storylines and characters appearing throughout the film would be very hard to realize in the same way, it might be an interesting experiment, but would it result in a watchable film?
A great challenge.

A collection of short films all connected in some way has been done many
times. No one has successfully addressed the challenge of putting together
a more traditional feature film using filmmakers from all over the world.

I can understand why everyone here is avoiding that challenge. It would be
very, very difficult to pull off. Right now someone in indietalk could put out
a call for short films about, say, suicide and put together an anthology project.
Pick just about any topic and I'm sure there is 90 minuted of already completed
short films. No need for people to make new films for it.

Anyway, I sure would love to see the indie community come together to put
together a project. Anyone going to step up and "produce" this?

A great challenge.

A collection of short films all connected in some way has been done many
times. No one has successfully addressed the challenge of putting together
a more traditional feature film using filmmakers from all over the world.

I can understand why everyone here is avoiding that challenge. It would be
very, very difficult to pull off. Right now someone in indietalk could put out
a call for short films about, say, suicide and put together an anthology project.
Pick just about any topic and I'm sure there is 90 minuted of already completed
short films. No need for people to make new films for it.

Anyway, I sure would love to see the indie community come together to put
together a project. Anyone going to step up and "produce" this?

Let's define the rules of the game:

Feature Length Project - 75+ minutes

Multiple Geographically Separated Filmmakers - how many minimum? 5, 10? what percentage do they have to contribute? i.e. no more than 25% of running length can be filmed in one location?

Traditional Film - I read that as relatively linear story featuring primarily the same characters throughout the running time. Any other distinctions there?

Style - I'm assuming we are excluding animation as a deliverable. Any other styles / mediums that would exclude a project?

Let's define the rules of the game:

Feature Length Project - 75+ minutes

Multiple Geographically Separated Filmmakers - how many minimum? 5, 10? what percentage do they have to contribute? i.e. no more than 25% of running length can be filmed in one location?

Traditional Film - I read that as relatively linear story featuring primarily the same characters throughout the running time. Any other distinctions there?

Style - I'm assuming we are excluding animation as a deliverable. Any other styles / mediums that would exclude a project?

How about a global phenomenon? Like the world is going to end and people from all around the globe are trying desperately to travel to a secret underground bunker, or there's an alien invasion, zombie apocalypse, you name it.
Each segment would be about people from that particular state or country reacting to and coping with whatever the phenomenon is, this way each director could have freedom in their work. The overall style and technical requirements would have to be agreed upon before filming, and once it's all in the can, the post would be done by one party.
I like the ideas NickClapper posted before, they could definitely work.

This way the movie would work as a whole piece, and not just a collection of shorts, and each segment would naturally have a different setting and different characters.

Now that I started thinking, there are many possibilities for the plot, What about this: The main characters in each segment have one thing in common, at the exact same time, they all realize that they have superpowers.
Is it all a coincidence, or are they all connected somehow? Maybe they are all products of a top secret government mutation test. Maybe they aren't human at all.
Will they all get together and form a real life Fantastic Four/The Avengers? Do they even know about each other? Will their superpowers be revealed to the world, or will they keep it a secret?

The superpowers could be something that wouldn't require too much CGI or anything, like invisibility, practically free, telekinesis/mind control, time travel/dimensional travel etc.

Something like that could result in some interesting stuff. For example when one of the characters realizes he/she can read people's thoughts or even control them, will he/she use it for his/her own personal gains, or use it for common good?

Each segment could even be a different genre, like maybe one of the characters is a housewife, and that would be more of a dramatic segment, one could be more action oriented, one comedic etc.
Or they could all be within the same style and genre, something between Chronicle and Kick Ass.

That would be a pretty high concept idea, that would benefit from different filmmakers from different parts of the world contributing.

Let me know what you think.

Back