Best way to have 27x40 poster printed?

What is the best place/site, etc to have a high quality 27x40 poster printed?I had the poster to my movie made with a 27x40 print in mind, so the quality will be high. I wanted to know the best place to get it printed so it's the equivalent to posters shown in theaters with that certain thick professional poster paper, rather than cheap flimsy paper where the image looks poor. I have a film festival coming up and they offered to put one on display so I want to make sure I get a very professional one printed.

I've wondered myself how to get prints that look like real posters. Because whenever I've printed stuff in poster sizes, the paper that most print-shops offer is pretty heavy stuff, rather than the thin bleed through paper that most poster use. So my posters always turn out with really heavy card-stock stuff, because they just don't have a paper type that is thin enough or matches exactly.

However, if there were an online print shop service that actually printed custom designs on proper poster paper, then I'd be rather ecstatic to find out what that place would be.

Because the message you quoted was about the actual cost the printing costs the printer without making any money.
You are charged the cost plus margin to stay in business and hopefully make a profit :)

True. I did catch that he was getting it at cost. But it also felt like he was suggesting even just $15 was a bit much for a poster: having said "Prepare to pay." When in reality, a lot of commercial posters at that size cost $19 to buy for actual feature films. And then to get your own original posters made, it can be about twice that.

True. I did catch that he was getting it at cost. But it also felt like he was suggesting even just $15 was a bit much for a poster: having said "Prepare to pay." When in reality, a lot of commercial posters at that size cost $19 to buy for actual feature films. And then to get your own original posters made, it can be about twice that.

That is the power of numbers.
Printing 1 or 1000 pieces often make quite a difference in price per piece, since a big part is an automated proces.
It also happens with business cards.
500 can cost $50, but a 1000 may only cost $65...

I just want to make people aware, these hefty prices of $20-$30 each only apply if you're buying one or two. If you're talking about having them printed in bulk as giveaways for your cast to sign at cons or to sell, etc, then you should not be paying more than $1 per poster. I've done this for every one of my films, going through local printers in either Dallas or Houston, and it's always been around $800-$900 dollars for a box of 1000 27" x 40" poster prints. I have never found a deal even close to this online. While I generally rely on OvernightPrints for my postcards, which we print to promote at conventions and film festivals, I've always had to look locally to get the posters printed. Check around and keep looking until you find a deal under $1000 for a thousand prints.

-Stacy D.

Thanks for bumping this thread! Great topic. For fast turnaround, I've gone down to the local OfficeMax or Office Depot and handed them a USB drive with my graphics. I've also used Vista Print for some things. I'll be checking out some of the other mentions, earlier in this thread.

Back