• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sound on the Big Screen

I have a project that we are thinking about bringing to film festivals. We are worried about proper audio video syncing. Currently, the original sound, ADR, Foley, and score playback flawlessly on computer, and we have gotten it to play back on a couple different televisions with excellent synchronization of both spoken word and action sequences.

We are worried about the synchronization of sound in a larger theater. Does anyone have any tips or ideas that would help us get proper sound on the big screen?

Particulars:

GH2 Video
Basic audio was recorded with a Tascam DR-40 via Audio Technica Shotgun mic
Foley was recorded into the DR-40
Edited on laptop with external speakers and Studio Monitors
Video Editing Sony Vegas Pro 12
Audio Editing Sony Vegas Pro 12 and Audacity

Currently experimenting with 5.1 Surround Sound

And just to be precise, no budget. And sound was captured with a mixture of stereo mics for ambient noise/room noise. Shotgun for the majority of vocals with some spoken parts recorded directly into the DR-40 in mono mode.

What I mean by higher end film festivals is A- B+ film festivals - for example, montreal, hamptons, mill valley telluride AFI etc. I suppose for film festivals that show movies in ad hoc venues, they won't even accept DCP files?

I would not expect most of the festivals you've listed to accept a stereo mix, 3.0 would be the likely minimum and the expectation would probably be for a 5.1 mix. However, I am by no means certain, you would need to check delivery specs for the screening copy for each individual festival. The sooner you check the better, so you can plan an appropriate audio post schedule and budget for your film.

G

Back