Spielberg, Cannes Say No to Netflix

Semantics battle. Back in the day there were movies "Made for TV." Most were horrible, but they qualified for Emmys not Oscars. Unfortunately that stigma has crossed over into streaming. What we need to do is forget the device or screen we viewed it on and judge it on its merits. BUT these organizations also have to draw lines, or they become saturated and less defined. It's a mess really, but you need to look at all sides to understand it.

Well then that's a good argument to let streaming in. ;)

In order to qualify for an Oscar a movie still must play in a commercial
theater in Los Angeles for 7 days, at least three screenings per day. If
a production company called “Netflix” makes a movie and meets this
criteria they should be allowed to compete.

He doesn't believe these “token qualifications” should exist.

Fine. Change the rules.

He's turning into a snob. "once you commit to a television format, you’re a TV movie."

Perhaps true in the '80's, but not true today. There are directors of his
era who still think if you don't shoot on film you shouldn't call your
movie a film. Perhaps something to consider in the early '90's but not
today.

Nah, he's a purist. They exist in every industry. BBQ purists are more hardcore than film purists. And don't even get me started on the chili purists and beans lol.

I'm more relaxed. Used to be purist (in various regards). Now I'm like, do what makes you happy. Done.

Here is the problem I have with what he's saying

They tried to release crouching tiger hidden dragon 2 simultaneously in theatres and the major chains rejected it.
http://variety.com/2014/film/box-of...l-cinemark-wont-play-imax-release-1201317183/

They refused to allow a "streaming" movie in their threatres so everything is stacked against you. Even if you want to put your stuff in theatres and meet these oscar requirements the theatres wont let you!

Here is the problem I have with what he's saying

They tried to release crouching tiger hidden dragon 2 simultaneously in theatres and the major chains rejected it.
http://variety.com/2014/film/box-of...l-cinemark-wont-play-imax-release-1201317183/

They refused to allow a "streaming" movie in their theaters so everything is stacked against you. Even if you want to put your stuff in theaters and meet these oscar requirements the theatres wont let you!

I really don't see the problem there. I mean, if it mattered to them, they could just release it online AFTER. "The Room" was played in theaters for the purpose of being Academy Award eligible, and if Tommy Wiseau can do it, I'm not convinced that it's a real issue.

"Mudbound" was bought by Netflix post-Sundance. They gave it a limited theatrical release before they streamed it, and it picked up several Oscar nominations. So it can be done.

I'm too polite (sometimes!) to say what I think of purists in any context :)

I really don't see the problem there. I mean, if it mattered to them, they could just release it online AFTER. "The Room" was played in theaters for the purpose of being Academy Award eligible, and if Tommy Wiseau can do it, I'm not convinced that it's a real issue.

Well whats the point of being a Netflix customer if I have to go to the theatre and pay for a ticket to see Netflix movies when they come out? I might as well cancel my subscription.

See the problem now?

Yeah they could do this for select movies and jump through the hoops if they wanted to but all these hoops seem absurd. There's too much BS.

Last edited:
Well whats the point of being a Netflix customer if I have to go to the theatre and pay for a ticket to see Netflix movies when they come out? I might as well cancel my subscription.

See the problem now?

Yeah they could do this for select movies and jump through the hoops if they wanted to but all these hoops seem absurd. There's too much BS.

I didn't know "the point" of Netflix was to see movies the minute they premiere. It seems more realistic that it's not actually that, and it's (mostly) meant for films to run after their initial theatrical run, just like a video rental. If Netflix is isn't happy staying in their lane, I think that's their problem, not mine.

I didn't know "the point" of Netflix was to see movies the minute they premiere. It seems more realistic that it's not actually that, and it's (mostly) meant for films to run after their initial theatrical run, just like a video rental. If Netflix is isn't happy staying in their lane, I think that's their problem, not mine.

Why do you think when they release a TV series they release the entire series at once? They know that people binge watch. And with Netflix original flicks, they would never go theatrical first, then to their own platform. Makes no sense.

I'm talking their original content here. Not simply distro, but Nextlix movies that would never see a theater based on their business model.

It's mostly lower budget films going to streaming that the studios don't want to make anyway.
And Spielberg's saying to be part of their prestigious club those small films have to spend money
to get in theaters. Well they don't usually have that money, they already spent it on making the movie.
They could get more attention & revenue by being Oscar nominated & maybe the filmmakers
can get a leg up on their next film & maybe try to make a career out of it but Spielberg's against that.
Maybe an Emmy would do just as well, I don't know.

I just think if someone makes a great film that is good enough to play in theaters,
but no one wants to invest in giving it a theatrical run because they don't think it will make enough money,
& it gets on Netflix, why shouldn't it be eligible? It's a big guy saying no to the little guy.
Academy members have to nominate it anyway, & they've already done it the past few years.

I don't think it's fair or honest to paint Netflix original productions as "the little guy". They've got lots of money, and as mlesemann put it, they can absolutely run something theatrically if they want to. I don't really think it's much different than direct-to-video movies not being eligible.

You guys have to understand the academy. This is nothing new. "Straight to video" movies were never eligible.

However times are a changin' and the Academy needs to decide if they want to be a part of the modern way people watch films, because the content no longer carries the stigma of being second best, and in fact, is often better.

Netflix is investing an OBSCENE amount of money into original content.
Why? They believe original content will attract people.

Well it's not going to attract anyone if they already saw that content in the theatre.

Back