Different Camera Types

Hey! Recently I've been getting into what kind of camera to buy and I was wondering if someone could explain some things to me. So, the camera types I know of are DCLR, Handycam, and professorial Camera(Not actual name). So obviously I probably missed a lot and could someone explain the difference between each on and the ups and downs of each one?

- Frank

DSLRs are still cameras that can do video. Lots of people without much money use these for video because they have a large sensor, which means good lowlight capability and control over depth of field. The downsides are that its form factor isn't suitable for video without some sort of support rig, it can overheat if you shoot too long, and on some models there are recording limits.

Handycams are nice because they're easy to use. The AF is much better than aa DSLR and all you have to do is point and shoot. However, they have tiny sensors so you don't get the benefits mentioned above.

Pro cameras, like Arri, RED, or some Sony ones are nice because they have 35mm sensors meant for video, high dynamic range, and all kinds of stuff that I really am not in a position to answer.

What's your budget, and what do you plan to do with your camera? With that info, it's a lot easier to give you some worthy advice, and you'll probably get some great responses here. Otherwise, you can probably find what you need with a little googling. :)

What's your budget, and what do you plan to do with your camera? With that info, it's a lot easier to give you some worthy advice, and you'll probably get some great responses here. Otherwise, you can probably find what you need with a little googling. :)
Yeah my bugdet is somewhere around 500, but I could go up if needed. I want a camera that would be good low lighting and that I don't have to be doing a lot of setup kind of things like lightening. So the DSLR sounds nice. I've heard the t3i is good. What do you think?

Back