Hi from Sydney, Australia!

Hi,

My name is Damien. I’m a Sydney-based writer/director.

A bit about me: I grew up in Launceston, Tasmania: pop: 60,000; cinema: 1. It was there, as a teenager at the local film society, that I fell in love with movies. After completing an Arts/Law degree in Hobart, I moved to Sydney to take up a position on the Film Classification Board. I started writing and directing soon after I arrived, and after making a few shorts, I enrolled in a MA in Directing at the AFTRS. Since graduating I’ve written and directed several award winning shorts.

In 2011 my short film PEEKABOO won awards including the 2011 Showtime Talent Assist Scheme award, Best Editing at Flickerfest and the WOW Festival, the SBS Award and Audience Award also at the WOW Festival. I also picked up the Emerging Screenwriter Award at the Shorts Film Festival.

Recently I directed two short films (BAT EYES, BOOT) for the Voices Project – an initiative by Australian Theatre for Young People (atyp) - the films have been selected (from 15,000 submissions) as two of 50 semi-finalists for the inaugural YouTube film festival: Your Film Festival! I'll post links to these in the Screening Room.

As a filmmaker I strive to make inventive cinema, rigorous in its engagement with subject and form, that moves people and makes them think.

My favourite films are Blue Velvet and Harold and Maude. I’m still not sure what that means.

You can find out more about me at my website: www.damienpower.com.au

Cheers

Damien

A pure coincidence.

Yeah, that's a coincidence. He's a stand-up comedian from Brisbane. I'm a Sydney filmmaker. We've never actually met, but I worry the universe might implode.

Hi Damien!

Good to see a local around the traps!

Looking forward to watching your films.

Cheers!

1 million viewers for emerging film makers

Hey Damien,

Brilliant work on your CV so far!

Would you be interested in entering KLM's new film comp? They are after something Asia-centric, but there is a pretty wide scope. The main point is to be amazing and inspirational. Winner gets 1 million viewers and a pretty amazing international career launch. If you know of any other film makers who might be up for it, please pass it on.

http://www.klm.com/travel/hk_en/plan_and_book/special_offers/best_video_KLM.htm

Sarah

Back