Should and Shouldn't

I'm not great, but I get around the net pretty well. So, especially when I'm casting, I look for people that want to audition. The things people will put up on youtube or vimeo is incredible. You think someone would tell them "Maybe you should remove that. Or at least remove your name from it'.

Recently an actress couldn't come in to audition, so she asked if she could do it on-line. I told her yeah. So, she runs the sides, but only her part. Even though I wrote the damn thing, I don't remember every line. It's absolutely bizarre. She sent me a one sided conversation. You can only imagine how bad it was.

But, that's the unknowns.

I love the show Two Broke Girls. I started watching it for Kat Dannings. But, Beth Behrs steals the show. Not only is she gorgeous, but funny. I just watched her on Letterman and then did an youtube search. This is her account BethB1000. Someone should tell her...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkRjvXCPOAc&feature=related

Last year I posted a craigslist ad for a general audition for actors. In the ad I specifically said that while headshots and resumes were fine, youtube links were what I was really looking for. Out of ~70 responses only four sent links. Out of those four only one was a real, good demo reel and couple of the others had clips I'd never show if I were looking for more work as an actor!

Most of the rest sent headshots & resumes, but I was stunned that several people actually sent self portraits clearly taken with a cell phone. Those that did send headshots often had resumes with long lists of shorts or features they'd been in, but it was incredibly rare to find anyone with films or clips that I could actually view online.

It was clear to me that with maybe an afternoon or two of work an aspiring actor could put together a web presence that would literally separate them from the pack by a huge margin... and yet nobody seemed to be doing this.

I did start thinking about our responsibility as filmmakers to the actors we work with though - especially when you're working very low or no budget with actors who are giving a lot of their time. I see 'Copy & Credit' offered for a lot of non-paying jobs and always thought that should just be a given - of course you'd get a copy and credit. It's clear to me though that a lot of these actors aren't getting a copy of their work, or aren't being allowed to post it online. I understand that when filmmakers are making something for festivals, etc they don't want to put the film online, but that also means the actors may have nothing to really show for their work for a couple years after it's done. I feel like if that's the case it's our obligation to give them more than just a copy - we should be giving them excerpts that are appropriate to post even if the film itself isn't available. Of course at that point it's their responsibility to do something with the clips, but at least they'd have the option.

Last edited:
Our director has put in serious effort to giving actors (when requested) clips of their work to use in their reel. Not only is it good for the actors, it's also good publicity for us when producers & casting directors see their good work in our movie.

In addition to not all actors necessarily being savvy enough to excerpt a film for their reel (though I'm sure some people pay/ask favors of editors to put one together for them), it's also helpful from a beginner's standpoint, learning to be critical of themselves, for a filmmaker to say to them "hey, here is the bit where you did REALLY well. This was good and should be in your reel"

Just another stage in the learning/development process where we can help each other out!

Back