Shopping List

Ok,
I am in need of some professional advise. I am very new to this "scene" and I am utterly lost in all the various pieces of equipment that are available to the professional as well as novice/basic film making hobbyist.

I am sure you have all been in my position with not knowing where to start. It is all so expensive, so, therefore I need to choose carefully.
I also understand that there is no "perfect list" of equipment and that for every film maker and project there is going to been a different need based on the film. What I am asking is the most basic starter's kit you can think of.

I have already purchased a basic DSLR (T2i) and i am now looking for sound EQ that would work best for my needs. I appreciate ANY and ALL advise you have to impart!

Regards,
Miles:D

In my "unprofessional" opinion, getting a good quality upgradable DAW (digital audio workstation) and software then spending some time getting really familiar with it, is part of the big picture. Also at the same general time, getting a good quality NLE (non-linear editor) that is also upgradable, then getting really familiar with the controls and abilities of that... Those are the biggest struggles I'm facing even though I have all the basic equipment I would need to make an indie film.
So basically a camera, a video editor, and an audio editor... Then practice making fake commercials, intros, trailers, anything at all. You have a great camera, so next I'd look at getting an industry standard audio set-up. Using in camera audio and making it sound better is a good challenge, then pop for a decent shotgun mic. No sense owning a car until you know how to drive... I am assuming you already use some sort of video editing? Mac or Windows? Using the entry level versions of industry leading NLE's is a great way to familiarize yourself with the basic controls then upgrade when and if you go further as an indie.
Customer and user support are a big part of progressing quickly with your goals. Learn from others mistakes by watching tutorials and how to videos. Using popular equipment will allow you to have more information available to learn from.
I own ProTools/M-Audio Avid Fast Track USB SE Audio Interface, but have yet to use it on any video projects. I really need to focus on getting used to that and my editor, biggest problems I've had as a solo film maker so far. Lots of projects but none I'm happy with the final product yet.
Avid - Pro Tools is a good start as it's something you can grow with, even if it's not the "best" in the world according to some. Brand loyalty comes after you've gotten to sample all the brands. Gotta start somewhere, right?

As always, I recommend that you hire someone who knows what they are doing. A long-time professional may be too expensive, but there are lots of up-and-comers looking for experience who have solid entry level production sound kits. You will not delay production with sound issues, your production sound will be better by a very noticeable amount, and production sound problems won't jump up and bite you in the buns during post. Every dollar/minute you spend on production sound will save you ten in post.

If you won't retain someone then I recommend that you rent. "Unless you will be using it every day" is the basis for most of my purchasing decisions. I don't own a field kit (I do audio post). I have a decent selection of mics, but I rent field recorders and mixers (and sometimes even mics) as I need them.

If you must purchase don't go cheap. Cheap has no resale value; cheap is easily broken; cheap sounds like crap. DesertOkie already posted the thread with my three category lists.

Avid - Pro Tools is a good start as it's something you can grow with, even if it's not the "best" in the world according to some...

Actually, Avid Pro Tools is the world standard for audio post. If someone has any aspirations whatsoever in becoming a professional sound editor - sound-for picture or music - you must know PT. There is nothing out there that even comes close in terms of combined hardware/software processing power than a full-blown professional PT system. Now, as to whether or not PT the best platform is another issue entirely.

I own ProTools/M-Audio Avid Fast Track USB SE Audio Interface...

This is infant/beginners Pro Tools. You can graduate to a full native PT system (PT LE), a hybrid system (PT HD Native - the jury is still out on this one) and full-blown professional systems (PT HD) which can very quickly and easily get into five and six figures. Avid is currently going to the next generation called HDX.

I really need to focus on getting used to that and my editor, biggest problems I've had as a solo film maker so far.

"Solo" is my biggest problem right now... If you can team up with anyone, it will be like Alcove said. Will save you tons of headaches, time , and money down the road. I am still deciding what part of the indie world I will ultimately focus on later in life.
Sound IS (more than) half the experience of any video project... prepare accordingly.

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=45351&highlight=sound+design

Back