• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Best Source for music?

Hey, I was wondering what any of you use for music (main theme, or during the film)? I suppose it has to be royalty free to play at festivals with no hassles? So I'm curious to see where I can find something that matches the kind of song I have in my head. Thanks.

ZenStever- I do see those FilmInfo ads while I'm logged in.

Also, there was a question earlier in this thread about someone offering their music "copyleft" (as opposed to copyright). This doesn't have any real legal meaning by itself, and you'd have to ask the composer exactly what he meant by it. It's usually a software term. For music, it would probably mean that he gives other musicians the right to make modifications to his music and redistribute it, as long as those new versions are also free for people to use. As a filmmaker, it's probably just free for you to use, period.

Boyd Gaffney
Productiontrax.com
Royalty Free Music and Sound Effects, Stock Footage, and Multimedia Content

Dear Filmmakers: Grand Opening Offer! 30 Minutes of Free music for first 15 clients!

I just created a website for the very purpose of allowing anyone to commission high-quality music composition, to their specifications, for any project they have in mind. It is here:

http://notyetmusic.weebly.com

We are having a Grand Opening Offer for filmmakers; the first 10 film orders are free! Up to 30 minutes of music!

It seems like it could definitely pay off, both creatively and financially, to commission music instead of paying a licensing company; here’s a site where you can get a direct connection with the artist who wrote the song in your movie, because he wrote it for the movie.

-PhD

Last edited:
Jamendo.com

I've found a ton of great artists & music from all around the world here. All of the music is licensed under various Creative Commons licenses - you do want to filter it by licenses that allow you to create derivative works as not all of them do. This page groups by the different licenses:

http://www.jamendo.com/en/creativecommons

Some of the licenses also include a share-alike clause meaning you would have to release your film under a similar license, so be sure you understand which license the song is using before you use it.

I actually listen primarily to artists I've found on Jamendo all the time now... I tend to get inspired by music, and this way if I get inspired by a song I know I'll be able to use it on screen.

Back