• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Slow Motion

Anyone have any ideas for a successful way to achieve slow motion without any high speed cameras or million dollar rigs? Personally, I have a Canon 600D and have messed around with settings such as shutter speed but slow motion never looks effortless, always jumpy and distorted. Any ideas? :D

I believe your 600D has a 720/60p option...it's not great but if you keep the camera close to your subject you shouldn't notice the difference in resolution too much. Other than that, you can use frame blending in your NLE or the Twixtor plug-in for PP, FCPX, AE, etc. Try not to move the camera too much if you're going to use software to fake the slow motion. Twixtor specifically will have a far easier time doing its job if the only thing in the shot that's moving is the subject.

borrow an iPhone for your slow motion shots. cheapest way

yeah this is using a 'high speed camera' but they're prolific, i'm sure you've got friends that have one.

I never took the time to dive deep into Twixtor, but I played with it and back then the Time Warp effect in After Effects gave me better results.

Anyway: it is indeed advised to have a clear background.
Especially 'patterns' (a garden fence, bushes) can confuse the software and result in artifacts.

Disclaimer:
the shot contained a long haired woman running: her hair was dancing. Not the typical fake slowmo you usually see in Twixtor demos, since it is a non-lingeair, organic and chaotic bouncing movement.
AE could only double the amount of frames without going mental. But Twixtor gave Twisted results right away ;)

Last edited:
Back