Home
Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > The Biz > Hollywood

IndieTalk is performing upgrades and will be back soon. Posting is disabled until further notice.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #3211
AngelaEl
Basic Member

The Avengers: Infinity War - 3/5. Obviously it's a fantastic movie and all that but I haven't seen all the ten thousand other Marvel movies so a lot of Infinity War was hard for me to follow. if I'd seen all the others it would probably be a 4 or 5. As far I remember there was only one of those jarring long distance zooms which bumps it up a notch.
AngelaEl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 12-25-2018, 12:09 AM   #3212
eomer41
Basic Member

The Polar Express........................................... ..9/10

When I first watched this movie I enjoyed it very much. I liked the style of animation. It reminds me now of video games from the Playstation 3 which isn't bad at all. The story is very well told. The main character (Hero Boy) doesn't believe in Santa at first and the movie shows him going "behind the scenes" in the train and at the north pole. The observation quality of how this movie is presented works great as a viewer. I also think the camera movements are some of the best in any movie ever made. It also has good themes for the kids which grown up can also relate too. To me this is a classic Christmas movie that seems to be timeless.
eomer41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:40 AM   #3213
JM.mintmedia
Basic Member

A Simple Favor

7/10

I thought it was great overall...very refreshing in its story.
The acting was excellent...Anna Kendrick; always great...played well with co-star Blake Lively.
The twist/ending kind of got away from itself, a bit farfetched...the only reason I didn't rate it higher.
JM.mintmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:39 PM   #3214
eomer41
Basic Member

Solo: A Star Wars Story ................................................ 8.3/10

For a new star wars movie this one is my favorite! The action just keeps going but it's easy to follow. Each cast member brings something to the table and helps color the story. It was a fun movie. I think the reviews gave it a bad rating because there have been too many star wars films in a short period of time.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:29 AM   #3215
richy
Basic - Premiere Expired

Venom. 7
Fairly decent. Probably deserves better treatment than the critics have given it. A better "version" of this film is Spoiler: Upgrade. =)

The Sisters Brothers. 7.75.
Pretty darn good. I'd give it a higher rating but for a dumb, implausible choice it expects us to believe a couple of characters make. I understand they needed to move the story along in the direction they wanted; but they could have made it more plausible.

You Were Never Really Here. 6.75
I'd give it a higher score if it weren't for an absurd premise. Apart from the story which needed a reworking at a fundamental level, it's a great showcase of craft, including a great showcase of Joaquin Phoenix's acting chops. Great job, Joaquin.
richy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:31 PM   #3216
eomer41
Basic Member

Copying Beethoven .................. 7/10

Good Soundtrack. That lady is funny. Ed Harris is too.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #3217
gorillaking
Basic Member

Into the Spiderverse: 10
Aquaman: 7.5 / 8
Crimes of Grindelwald: 5

Absolutely loved the animated Spiderman film. Writing, music, characters, ... it was delicious.

Aquaman: I was very positively surprised. A couple of times I was like: "this is a genre switch, what the hell just happened", but overall I actually really enjoyed it. I could forgive the not perfect CGI because I was having fun watching it.

Crimes of Grindelwald: CGI etc. was fantastic but expected more. Story-wise it was ok, actors were great, but for some reason I felt like somebody went up to Eddie Redmayne and was like: "alright, so do what you did last time, just be like a million times more awkward. ALL THE TIME", so that was kind of tiring. I did enjoy it and all the fights and monsters, etc. but the story was not super great and the crazy girlfriend was just whack lol.

I know, I know.. the same stuff kind of applies to Aquaman. It's not the greatest movie ever, that's for sure. I just really enjoyed it.

EDIT:

And I did finally see Venom: 7.5
I just love everything Tom Hardy is in, so even though it was fine... I still really enjoyed it. Plus I love the Venom character and it's the first time they kind of did it any justice.
gorillaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:02 PM   #3218
seanmannion
Basic Member

Into the Spider-Verse - 9/10 (The style of it in particular struck me. Very cool movie.)
Bumblebee - 7/10 (It's what all of the films should have been really. It was a lot of fun.)
Aquaman - 6/10 (A fun ride. Pretty much the silliness I was expecting.)
The Spy Who Dumped Me - 5/10 (Fun but my interest waned a bit in the middle)
seanmannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:42 AM   #3219
eomer41
Basic Member

Hesher ..................... 7.9/10

Overall I liked it. I think it works well for those who have gone through some crap in life and can see the contrast of it all. I think all the characters in this movie represent a side of life and how they cope with it all is different. Hesher has turned into a creature that to me represents the worst of what can happen to a person in the world. TJ has to fight against all the crap coming his way and needs guidance from his Dad or else TJ could become a Hesher. Also, the grandmother played an important roll too. I just don't want to give everything away.

But, there were moments that just seemed too out there and the comedy was reaching at times.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:16 PM   #3220
eomer41
Basic Member

The Bells of St. Mary's ................................................. 9/10

This is one of those movies that kind of has it all. Comedy, drama... but actually no romance. It also shows a good side of a Catholic school, whether true or not the world this movie creates seems like something out of a book. To me this movie also has some of the best writing I've ever seen in a movie. The comedy worked most of the time. The children we represented as children but also respected as adults within the story. It had almost every age group from young to old. It's a dense story with many different things happening but could also be viewed as a simple story from far away.

Some of the singing is dated and it does have it's moments which are .... a bit much but overall I was very surprised by the comedy. The acting is great too. There is something about movies in the 1940s that seems to hold up over time.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:28 AM   #3221
Runlevel Two
Basic Member

"The Mirror", Andrei Tarkovsky, 10/10
Runlevel Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #3222
eomer41
Basic Member

Beautiful Boy ....................................... 9/10

This movie is the only movie I can remember that realistically shows the damage that drug addiction can do to a family. I think it really showed how the addiction itself brings the worst out of the father and the son and the actors did great at showing those hard moments. The fact that this is based on a true story makes it even more important. Best picture nomination in my book. You have to be on drugs not to appreciate what this film is trying to communicate to audiences (dose that make sense?).

That ending bruh.

Last edited by eomer41; 01-28-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:22 PM   #3223
mlesemann
IndieTalk Moderator

Vice 9/10
Eighth Grade 7/10
Beautiful Boy 7/10
Close 5/10
Old 01-28-2019, 03:43 PM   #3224
Runlevel Two
Basic Member

The Phantom of Liberty (1974), Luis Bu˝uel, 8/10
Runlevel Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:51 PM   #3225
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

The Punisher Season 2

A worthy second season to a great series.
sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote