Rented 4 cameras, 3 of them with dead pixels

Hey hey.
I was unfortunate enough to rent 4 JVC 790 and 3 of them had dead pixels.
We did not realize that until in the edit. I feel that this is something that the rental company should have told us about.
But they did not. And they are now insisting that we pay the full prize for the cameras when i feel that we should not pay for faulty gear.
They say that dead pixels are like having dirt on the lens, that it is the users responsibility to check and fix the dead or stuck pixels.
What do you think?
Thanks guys

Low power may affect it, battery packs and generator power more frequently than standard power. Not a bad idea to check voltages at the location before the shoot. So if one camera performed well and the others didn't, I would look there. If running all on the same power source maybe it was faulty equipment.

yes, i live in europe, so it was 220V. does that have an effect on dead pixels?
The cameras were used inside, no cold temperature or anything like that.

There's a reason you do a prep before each shoot.

That said, a good rental house won't send out a camera with dead pixels. Are you certain they're dead pixels and not another artefact?

If they are indeed dead pixels, then the cameras should never have gone out in the first place. You also should have picked it up in your prep. Most rental houses want repeat business so will discount and do deals for you, particularly when they've sent out cameras with dead pixels. If they're not interested, I'd write the cost off or claim on production insurance (depending on how much money you've paid for them) and simply never work with the company again.

Without knowing the full story, a rental company that sends out faulty cameras and then denies responsibility is not a rental company I want to be hiring from, despite the fact that you should pick these things up in prep.

Of course, there are two sides to every story... and the fact that you didn't pick it up until after complicates the situation as it's hard to know whether the pixels were faulty when you picked the cameras up or not.

Last edited:
The problem is that it's like eating your entire steak and then complaining it wasn't cooked right.
You get a much better response from the service if you didn't finish eating the steak.

I think it is always best to check first the equipments before you take it outside. It is your responsibility to check first the equipments (professional or not). Although you could also argue that it is also their responsibility to check their equipment (before giving it to their costumers).

But at the end of the day, it was your project or work that has been compromised. So better check equipments first before going out to shoot especially if you just rent it.

Back