Editor that highlights high motion / high sound parts of video?

Imagine a cam recording many hours of nature scenery. Most of the time it is relatively silent and almost nothing moves in the scene. However, sometimes an animal walks by or some animal sounds can be heard in the background. Is there a video editor capable to automatically select high motion / high sound volume parts of the video? That would make it much quicker and easier to find relevant parts of the video and cut out the irrelevant ones where nothing happens, without actively going through many hours of footage.

Sounds like the poster wants to create a jump scene, if I am using the right term. You have to let the camera record for hours to get the necessary footage. I would recommend a big SD Card with extra memory to have enough space to capture the footage on a single card.

The rest is done in post. The sound is stripped away and replaced the new sound and the video frame rate is amped up with the video editing software.

Sorry, I was not expressing myself clearly enough.

The footage of nature scenery is already available in digital format. Several hours of video with sound (in .mp4 format). Most of the time nothing happens and the scene is almost still and silent. Only occasionally one can see an animal passing or hear animal sounds.

My question is of software technical nature - whether an editor exists that could automatically find and extract all the parts of the video which contain relevant information (like animal appearance or sound) while cutting out the larger amount of footage where nothing interesting happens. (I assume such a feature in an editor would analyze each frame based on certain threshholds like the amount of pixels updated and sound power.)

I am new to video editing and do not have any current editor which I would prefer. So far I have been using simple tools with minimal functionality (like i.e. freemake video converter). I am ready to switch to any other video editor which would have this functionality.

I understood the question. I know people that look for deer this way. I don't know of anything in the editor though. A lot of this footage is shot with motion sensors that pick up large motions.

FCPX presents clips with audio waveforms underneath. The viewer also scrubs as you move the cursor through each clip. You could scan for changes by eye relatively easily thatbway.

FCPX presents clips with audio waveforms underneath. The viewer also scrubs as you move the cursor through each clip. You could scan for changes by eye relatively easily thatbway.

jax beat me to it. This also how I would tackle the problem. Premiere also has the same capability, as would pretty much any editing software. You can "zoom in", for lack of a better word, then just scroll through the footage until you see a spike in the waveform.

It could work for quiet nature footage but some forests are loud with constant bird chirping etc. and spikes would not be seen or be relevant.

Back