• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Need critics for this 1 min video

Yeah good stuff, keep at it. Weird jump cut at :38.

Fun short! Effects compositing is not my strongsuit, so I'm always a little jealous of folks who can do it.

Fade in from black. Fade out to black. Curtain up, curtain down. One of my biggest peeves about Internet video is that folks start it and end it hard. It's like we're losing the art of opening the show and closing the show.

Your closing shot was so backlit that he was basically a silhouette. This is easy to fix (in production, not in post) with a bounce card or other reflector. Use the backlight as your key light as well.

Fun short! Effects compositing is not my strongsuit, so I'm always a little jealous of folks who can do it.

Fade in from black. Fade out to black. Curtain up, curtain down. One of my biggest peeves about Internet video is that folks start it and end it hard. It's like we're losing the art of opening the show and closing the show.

Your closing shot was so backlit that he was basically a silhouette. This is easy to fix (in production, not in post) with a bounce card or other reflector. Use the backlight as your key light as well.

Great tip! Actually, we really didn't plan to shoot it at that exact day. It was more of a run and gun thing.

Thanks a lot!

The "Jump Cut" is an abrupt cut in what is expected to be an unbroken shot. By weird, he means it was jarring and probably would've been better without it

Also, with that angle, it doesn't communicate at all that he's walking toward a cliff. It just looks like a hill. Just one type of thing to look out for in the future

Last edited:
The "Jump Cut" is an abrupt cut in what is expected to be an unbroken shot. By weird, he means it was jarring and probably would've been better without it

Also, with that angle, it doesn't communicate at all that he's walking toward a cliff. It just looks like a hill. Just one type of thing to look out for in the future

Oooh! Now I get it.

Thanks for the heads up!

I feel like it's an over-stuffed minute. Too much happens with no clarity. If you had more like 50 seconds of clarity and then a ten second tease of incoming chaos, I'd be much more interested in whatever is next. As it stands, there's more mystery than is worth investing in. Is his new power immunity to pain? Is he in control of the portal that opens? And, most obviously, what made him say "oh shit"? Any one of these would have been enough of a tease for a minute of work but all three together just make the thing feel directionless.

Also, I believe Mario's original name was Jumpman back in Donkey Kong. Is this a callback to that or is this an entirely new Jumpman?

I feel like it's an over-stuffed minute. Too much happens with no clarity. If you had more like 50 seconds of clarity and then a ten second tease of incoming chaos, I'd be much more interested in whatever is next. As it stands, there's more mystery than is worth investing in. Is his new power immunity to pain? Is he in control of the portal that opens? And, most obviously, what made him say "oh shit"? Any one of these would have been enough of a tease for a minute of work but all three together just make the thing feel directionless.

Also, I believe Mario's original name was Jumpman back in Donkey Kong. Is this a callback to that or is this an entirely new Jumpman?

I didn't know about that Mario thing, but anyways, I'm planning to make longer shorts in the future because I also think most of my works don't have that depth of story in them.

Thanks!

I didn't know about that Mario thing, but anyways, I'm planning to make longer shorts in the future because I also think most of my works don't have that depth of story in them.

Thanks!

If this were Reddit, we could get all TIL up in this piece. But, it's not. So, we can't.

I'm looking forward to your next projects. When my wife started making movies, she'd burn through her ideas at a breakneck pace to the point that an average viewer couldn't even tell what was going on. Let it breathe. We're here to be taken out of our mundane, shitty, stressful lives. Let the audience kick back and enjoy the world you create.

Back