Rejected by Cannes Short Film Corner

I've submitted my short film to Cannes Short Film Corner, and it got rejected within less than 24 hours. What does it mean?

I'm not talking about the competition, or any other category, I'm talking about the Corner. I've never heard about somebody got rejected by CSFC. As far as I know, it's purpose is to place your film in the market, and make sure it's a film, not a birthday video.

Yet, I've got rejected. Before I submit to other categories, I want to ask a question - what does it mean?

Does that mean my film is so bad that it looks like a birthday video, and I shouldn't even try to submit to other categories? In fact, if it got rejected at CSFC, it is not worth sending to ANY festival in the world? It's not my first short film, and I wouldn't be sending a birthday video.

Or I've not met the technical requirements, like video/audio format, subtitles, resolution, black screen, double submission, length at etc? Although I'm sure I did check everything before sending. Do they have a software to filter submissions that do not meet the requirements? Can they actually reject a film for having a low sound kbps, black screen at the beginning, or even if it is 1 second longer than 15 min?

How can I know that?

Can they actually reject a film for having a low sound kbps, black screen at the beginning, or even if it is 1 second longer than 15 min?

If they specify technical requirements and you don't fulfill them then of course they can reject you. Why wouldn't they reject someone who can't follow basics such as technical requirements?

I've never heard of the Film corner rejecting a film either.

That's exactly my point. Therefore, I'm concerned, whether it's because of technical issues, or because the film doesn't suit for its artistic value, or just not good enough (which is still strange for Short Film Corner).

If they specify technical requirements and you don't fulfill them then of course they can reject you. Why wouldn't they reject someone who can't follow basics such as technical requirements?

Usually festivals ask you to fix those technical issues (like black screen at the beginning, or extra seconds length), and send them again. Unless, there is a software that automatically filters out films that don't meet the technical requirements.

I doubt I'll get an answer from them. Festivals don't have to reply. What I do ask is if someone has experienced being rejected at short film corner, and for what reasons.

Last edited:
Usually festivals ask you to fix those technical issues (like black screen at the beginning, or extra seconds length), and send them again. Unless, there is a software that automatically filters out films that don't meet the technical requirements.

Isn't the CSFC requirement that the film be no longer than 35 minutes? Is yours longer?

Also:

Registration at the Short Film Corner is reserved to short films with cinema artistic values. After viewing your film, we reserve the right to refuse a registration without having to justify our decision. For your information, the process to accept the films will start in february till mid-april.

(Emphasis added)

I would imagine the simple fact that such a statement exists means there are plenty of films that don't get accepted. I do know of films that haven't been accepted, and have been personally involved with films on both sides. It's certainly easier to get into, but I believe there's around 3,000-4,000 short films showing, which could only be but a small selection of all those submitted.

Last edited:
Isn't the CSFC requirement that the film be no longer than 35 minutes? Is yours longer?

Nope. But it had a black screen at the first 1.5 seconds, which is also against their requirements

I would imagine the simple fact that such a statement exists means there are plenty of films that don't get accepted. I do know of films that haven't been accepted. It's certainly easier to get into, but I believe there's around 3,000-4,000 short films showing, which could only be but a small selection of all those submitted.

I know it, although I remember last year, films were accepted at CSFC no matter what they were.

I know also that CSFC is not that important by itself, but I'm afraid the film SHOULD be there, if I wanna submit to other important Cannes categories.

I guess they don't have time to 'waste' on such things.
It is a business to them. If you can't apply the specifications, then they clearly don't see why they should bother to do anything about it.

A festival will ask you to fix things once it has passed the acceptance point (not at the submission level) because they want your film and have a vested interest. The market does not and surely has a lot of submissions, so "next!"

I agree, you have your answer unless they tell you otherwise. You didn't follow tech specs and they ask for specific tech specs so it is screen-ready.

I spoke to a friend who is in the know...

The "Short Film Corner" has gotten more strict than ever in
the last few years. They get thousands of entries (at 85 €
that's a LOT of money) and people have been abusing the
system. So they do reject films that do not adhere strictly
to the rules - yes, even one second over the running time.

Back