Premiere Pro vs Final Cut Pro

Which one is the best and most used in the industry ? I like Adobe products because there's much more detail and creative options. I've never used Final Cut Pro. I've used iMovie before and I personally don't like it. Seems like it's much more for people who want to make simple home movies and vacation slideshows.

I've used all three. Avid, FCPX and PP are all good tools but completely different price points and represent different creative choices. OP needs to research the differences and choose the one based on what is being filmed and the price point.

Anyone saying "Avid is the best tool" has no idea what they're talking about because different shoots have different needs. It would be like saying 'this screwdriver set is excellent, just throw away your hammer."

FCPX suffers from serious reputational damage due to the initial launch but for me, the latest version is pretty good although I felt some trepidation (due to the cr@p launch) and the previous version was genuinely terrible. However, for what I'm shooting, my price point, hardware config, nature of my creative choices and next 2 years of predicted shooting, I'm happy. It's a really good fit.

e.g.: http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1487-the-bbc-adopts-final-cut-pro-x-for-news-gathering

Last edited:
Windows movie maker is used by millions.. Clearly the better software.. Perhaps IMovie even..

As I stated initially, there is no such thing as an objective "better". It's like flavors of ice cream.

The reality is that if you want to be a professional editor, cutting major studio features, you probably won't get the job if you don't know AVID software. That's a reality, not an opinion.

My absolute preference for myself is Adobe Premiere. I learned Final Cut, Vegas, and Avid so that I can get paid work.

I wouldn't go as far as to say AVID is the most used, even among professionals. Maybe the most respected, but not the most used. It fully depends on the project. I hear Final Cut X is great for documentaries and shorter indie projects (I hear it can slow down with longer timelines). Avid is great for work on longer projects such as features.

Most of the higher paying jobs I do are for commercials, corporate gigs, and I'm also doing a documentary. All for various different post houses. And all of them wanting me to use Premiere Pro, which I'm fine with. Premiere is great because it easily integrates with Photoshop, After Effects, etc. So if you're a one man team and having to do your own motion graphics, you can easily go from one Adobe program to another.

But really if you want to be considered a professional editor, you should be able to use whatever you're given. Like sonnyboo said, the program is the brush, not the artist. And Avid may be expensive, but it really isn't THAT expensive. Someone could probably buy all the major NLEs and learn them without too much trouble, if they desired.

Also, Davinci Resolve is supposed to be a full NLE now. I'd be curious to know if anyone has used it for pure editing yet and what they've found. :P

Anyone saying "Avid is the best tool" has no idea what they're talking about ...

Then you seem to be saying the vast majority of the world's top filmmakers have no idea what they're talking about!

Let's not forget, the OP did not ask which NLE you personally prefer for your own projects, which one is best for amateur filmmaking or other sectors of the entire AV world but "which one is best and most used the industry".

Your example of FCPX being taken on by the BBC is not relevant IMHO. It's been taken on by the BBC News department, and ENG, like "live" magazine type shows, have a very different production and post production process to the narrative TV and film industry.

G

Back