Would this be a waste of money?

This is an adapter you put in front of the lens. It can only do so much, as opposed to a different lens. It doubles the glass before the image as opposed to using a wider angle lens (like a 28mm).

Sometimes cheaper lens adapters like the one you linked to can cause chromatic aberration, where the edges of things in the image will be split into blurry multi-colored lines. This is from using cheap glass to manufacture them. So you are correct...you get what you pay for. I have one and use it primarily in darker scenes where the edges of what I'm shooting aren't as important to the central image I'm trying to make. But brightly lit landscapes look pretty crappy everywhere but the center of the image.

Sometimes cheaper lens adapters like the one you linked to can cause chromatic aberration, where the edges of things in the image will be split into blurry multi-colored lines. This is from using cheap glass to manufacture them. So you are correct...you get what you pay for. I have one and use it primarily in darker scenes where the edges of what I'm shooting aren't as important to the central image I'm trying to make. But brightly lit landscapes look pretty crappy everywhere but the center of the image.

Thanks. I had a similar experience with a cheap adapter I used to use on my miniDV camera. I'm gonna pass on this one, and just get a good wide lens.

cracker, its fun. Be sure to set up some test shots where you can compare how "stopping down" the lens increases Depth Of Field. (the smaller the aperture the MORE of your "visual field" can be in focus at the same time) Its quite amazing to see it in action.. I guess this is why they say a "pinhole" camera has the LARGEST DOF possible.

18mm is rather wide? I don't know if you can go wider without profound fisheye effects.. ???

Back