rent a camera?

Im working on my first feature film. My old camera is crashed. Cant afford a camera thats good enough in my opinion. Any luck with these companies that offer to rent camera?

Renting is very common, even (especially) on the big-budget stuff. Not sure what Chattanooga has locally, but you're within a couple hours in a few directions of places that have good rentals.

XF105 is an interesting choice for a feature. When I read your original post, I thought you'd be renting something a bit... bigger. Like RED, or Alexa, or even a Canon Cinema series.

Just curious... what made you come up with the XF105?

And I see you changed your location. Not in Chattanooga anymore?

If it makes sense for your budget, go for it. Many places offer x day weeks, meaning, you keep it a week, you pay for only x days. Make sure it is insured, for prosumer level I'd assume it's included or available at checkout. Make sure they have backups readily available in case you need to swap, make sure it has been tested by them since the last checkout, and do a camera and battery test before the shoot. Get extra batteries if avail, and also make sure the rental house is available in case you have issues.

I personally think you'd be better off with a DSLR for a feature than the Canon XF105. Seems like it's more suited for event work, even if it has a better dog and pony show. A DLSR will let you be more creative with your shots due to the control you'll have over the image and focus. And definitely follow IT's advice

Last edited:
The other glaringly obvious solution is, hire a DP with a kit (camera and accessories needed).

I was looking online. And I will be blunt honest. I am stupid when it comes to cameras. The guy that wants to rent me the camera says thats a good camera for the film I am making. But thats why I ask for suggestions. And to get a camera guy thats set up is beyond my budget i believe. I priced a couple in the 1000 per day neighborhood. Im still looking at options for rental.......

Don't worry man we'll guide you. Don't rule out getting a DP, if you have a super low budget, you may even find a DP that wants projects for his reel (as in work for free) up to low budget where you can find someone for a reasonable rate. I mean, why rent a camera when you can have an operator with it right? It's all in your networking skills and how good of a project this is.

Heres a good question. I havent filmed anything since vcrs were popular. Whats dslr?

Digital Single Lens Reflex. DSLR.

Digital stills cameras (form factor of traditional 35mm photography cams) that also shoot HD video. Large image sensor, interchangeable lenses, can make great images in the right hands.

So, let's set all this aside for a second. Do you have a DP (Director of Photography)? Who is going to be shooting your feature?

You need to start by working with that person to figure out what they need/want. And if you don't have a DP, indietalk is onto somethin' there about lining up a DP who is an owner/operator. Kill two birds with one stone, ya know?

Even though I can pretty much fund this small project, thats based off of having my old camera. I would love to have someone to do that buy I dont know where to start. I may start with craigslist or call around a few places. I am just thinking that its gonna be expensive. Anything close to 1000 daily will just not work unless i put a crowdfunding campaign to work.

XF105 is an interesting choice for a feature. When I read your original post, I thought you'd be renting something a bit... bigger. Like RED, or Alexa, or even a Canon Cinema series.

Just curious... what made you come up with the XF105?

And I see you changed your location. Not in Chattanooga anymore?

Forgot to answer your question. No, I am around the gulf coast. 25+ years in the scenic city was enough.

Forgot to answer your question. No, I am around the gulf coast. 25+ years in the scenic city was enough.

Okay. I was asking because I had shops in Atlanta and Nashville in mind, but since you're not there anymore that's not going to help.

Even though I can pretty much fund this small project, thats based off of having my old camera. I would love to have someone to do that buy I dont know where to start. I may start with craigslist or call around a few places. I am just thinking that its gonna be expensive. Anything close to 1000 daily will just not work unless i put a crowdfunding campaign to work.

Not sure what the indie filmmaking community is like in Mobile, but you might start with the Mobile Film Office. They have a searchable directory of crew people. There are also several annual film festivals, and if you have a local 24/48/54-hour or 7-day shootout, those are great places to network.

Were you planning to shoot this yourself with the rented XF-105? Are your skills at a point where you'll be able to handle that and it be the best decision for your film? I ask that because you called yourself "stupid when it comes to cameras", and mentioned you haven't shot anything "since VCRs were popular". So, what were you using the JVC 4K camera for? All of this leads me to think that you need a DP.

$1k per day is a fair rate on a big-budget production with a big-budget camera. On this low-budget stuff, though, you can negotiate a rate if you can find someone who, like indietalk mentioned, is interested in building a reel or will take on the project for fun and for a low rate. That way, you have someone who knows backwards and forwards the camera they're using, and can get the images you want for your film.

Atlanta is still just a 5 hour drive or so. I could if need be, drive there.
I did some wedding video services, and a couple party videos. I just havent done anything major since. And I guess I planned on doing it. Besides, Im very interested in trying it for fun. Its not like I plan on filming something that will make me a millionare. Maybe I should take it a little more seriously, but i started the project for fun, and even if I hire a DP to make it more proffesional, my number one goal is to have fun with it. I really love all the advice, and admire you guys for steering me into the best possible path.

Back