My DIY Dolly

Hey all,
here is my variation on the skate wheel dolly.

Mine is somewhat different in that I had some raw materials to start with that simplified.

I had bought two heavy duty plant stand things at goodwill outlet about a year ago thinking.. "huh, that looks like it could be a camera dolly"..
They look like this.. ($6)

plantstanddolly.jpg

Just a few days ago I decided to finally commit to building a dolly, I wanted one that would work with curved track so the swivel wheel design would be required, and rather than dink around, I simply bough a set of 4 swivel wheel sets on ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/Swiveling-Camer...=190513000190&ps=63&clkid=8019145660517512778

They look like this...
jibonewheelsettop.jpg

Well, it just so happens that that center bolt that goes through the mounting plate was the same thread as the hole that the plant stand wheels were attached with.. BONUS! A quick trip to the hardware store for three headless hex bolts and other whatnots and I mounted the wheels right to the bottom of the plant stand.

I then dropped in a piece of 1/2" plywood to fill in the center, secured that with several self tapping metal screws (the plant stand has this awesome lip on it!)

Next I drilled the holes for the t-bolts
T-Nuts-SA-T011-.jpg
and mounted them from underneath the plywood...

I then recycled the mounting plates that came with the wheels as "cleats" to hold the tripod feet. The big thumb screws go THROUGH the plate, using the existing hole, and thread in to the t-nut.

Here is what it looks like...
dollycloseup.jpg

dollyandtripod.jpg

Solid as a rock.

Anyone in PDX area is welcome to come take the other plant stand off my hands... heck, order some of the wheels and come over and we will build you one just like it.
The pipe is just some stuff I had left over from some other home improvement project.

Last edited:
Back