Trailers before Investment confusion

my Executive Producer has left me a quick update on the Screenplay I wrote which I will direct...He has said that the 'Trailer' will be vital to gaining investment....Can someone explain this...I thought the trailer was once the Film had been complete and scene where taken out of the final cut??? If not, how do you get round this, if INvestment is needed for Cast and Crew???

my Executive Producer has left me a quick update on the Screenplay I wrote which I will direct...He has said that the 'Trailer' will be vital to gaining investment....Can someone explain this...I thought the trailer was once the Film had been complete and scene where taken out of the final cut??? If not, how do you get round this, if INvestment is needed for Cast and Crew???
I can't explain it. But I'd love to hear your EP explain it.

Maybe he means he would like a little promotional piece? Clearly you
can't show any scenes from the movie - you don't have the final DP,
you don't have the final actors, you don't have the final locations. Who
pays for a cast and crew to make a trailer?

I have never gotten financing with a trailer because you are correct;
a trailer is made from the footage shot for the movie. We're going to
hear from people who believe a trailer is needed. I would love to hear
from people who shot a trailer and then got financing.

The Devil's Double was more or less pitched with a trailer to get financing.
But it went a bit in a indirect way.

As an interm I loaded and organised footage that was shot in Egypt: the shot a few interviews and B-roll with one of Saddam's son's doubles.
The original idea was to use the trailer to gain some interest on the filmmarket in Cannes to fund a documentary about the double who was forced to be a double. And to make a feature about it.
As far as I know only the feature has been made. It was finished 4 or 5 years after I was loading the footage....

But I guess it's an exeption.

It seems to be the crowdfund route to me...

As an interm I loaded and organised footage that was shot in Egypt: the shot a few interviews and B-roll with one of Saddam's son's doubles.
The original idea was to use the trailer to gain some interest on the filmmarket in Cannes to fund a documentary about the double who was forced to be a double. And to make a feature about it.
As far as I know only the feature has been made. It was finished 4 or 5 years after I was loading the footage....

But I guess it's an exeption.

It seems to be the crowdfund route to me...

yeah, I was thinking along the lines of it not being a traditional 'trailer', but maybe an interview with the Director on the idea, and possibly adding information about the background to the film...goinna be interesting when me Producer gets back to me

How cool! I know the writer Mike Thomas. I didn't know about this aspect
of the financing. To be fair the movie was based on a book and the director
had a terrific track record - he directed a Bond film.

I wonder if it was the trailer used to get the $20 million budget or was
it more of a "sizzle reel" to entice distributors. Either way I suspect it's
more likely for a project based on a published book being directed by
a well known director than for one like Derek's.

Interesting. There was some money being spent; am I right?
There were a few interviews and some B-roll and you were
an intern. At a post house? A prodCo? Someone was spending
money already.

I'll have to ask Mike when he was hired. This "how" always
pique's my interest.

There's a growing trend (not widespread) lately in financing low budget movies to use crowdfunding as a proof of concept and the first step in building an audience and on top of that, to raise a portion of the budget, often in the 10% range. It adds an extra incentive and slightly better risk reduction for investors.

As for money being spent up front. From what I understand, this is often not the case. It's all part of development. People get paid when financing happens.

I've also heard of this being used for unproven teams. To "Show" what the team can do. I have no idea how successful this method is. I haven't heard of any success stories for this method.

I was an intern at Corrino Media Corporation on the post department.
As an intern I was obviously not involved in the numbers (or all the other facts), lol, but yes: there has to be money that was spent:
a 2 or 3 man crew went to Egypt to interview Latif. So at least the traveling had to be paid.
There is a possibility (this is speculation) there was already some kind of grant or investor at that time.

All I really know is one of the producers bringing the camera bag so I could start loading the footage and organise it. Later a director and editor showed up to finish the job. :P
One of the art directors made a concept filmposter as well so they had a nice promo package.

A few months later the director for the feature was attached.
I don't know what happened to the plans for the documentary... maybe there was not enough interest for that.

Back