Actors

indietalk

IndieTalk Founder
Staff Member
Admin
New forums added for actors and acting. :)

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Buen español!!! Hehe.

So... Lets talk!

I agree. There´s a lot of people who will help you, but there´s also a lot of dangerous people
who can really hurt you so deep. So... I really think you should not ask for advise. In that way
you´ll avoid bad people, and be sure you´ll find great people to learn from along the way. They
will give you the support you need and you´ll take the advice you could need from that.

In anyway... the truth about the path you must walk... is in yourself. You know the anwers to
all the things you wonder about if you look deep enough... so... what is the advice good for?
Is it worth taking the risk? It was definetly not for me, I swear.

That's my sentiments all the way, SalvatoreGiunta.
For anyone who interested in seeking training for the craft and art of acting, here's a truth from the biography of Tony Curtis "...the only good thing about acting school is that you get to hang out with people like yourself and exchange job tips..."
I got trained myself, and I found his points to be true.
Beyond that i'd probably also tell someone to get some serious "F*ck You" money put aside before engaging the world of professional acting. That way, you'll become less likely to be placed into disadvantageous positions in the quest to progress your career.
I don't class the above as "advice," but merely the practicalities that seem to place others ahead of the rest.

clive said:
In my opinion both acting and filmmaking are both arts that require people to be dedicated heart and soul to doing the work for the sake of the work and no other reason.

I agree 100%-- and it completely confuses me when people interfere with their work (or their role in the works of others) for completely unneccessary reasons.

Great thread here.

I think coming to places like this is another step in the right direction. So much truthful advice has already been given I'll try to throw in my two cents:

Don't go out and act for the goal of "making it." Get settled financially where ever you are, and find productions to work in. Enjoy your craft. Act in indie-film, [film]school projects, and with theatrical troops/companies. Put your face out there by doing what you love. Take acting classes (not even so much for the training, but for the networking). Although classes can get very expensive, very fast.

If you put yourself out there doing what you love, you have just as much a chance as "making it" (i.e. getting paid to act on a regular basis) then if you desperately seek fame--plus you feel much better about yourself and your achievements.

That's just one method of thought.

Going to film festivals is a great way to network-even if it's a Horror Filmfest or something. You may find your next project, and in turn could start a ball rolling. Also, going to sites like www.mandy.com is a great resource for free casting listings. You can go to "Castings" on Mandy, and pick the area you live near...great resource.

Very nice community here guys, I'm grateful to be a part of it.

M1chae1 said:
Also, going to sites like www.mandy.com is a great resource for free casting listings. You can go to "Castings" on Mandy, and pick the area you live near...great resource.

This is a great forum for those looking at acting more seriously. Another great casting source I've recently come across is www.actorsaccess.com. They list breakdowns for the major cities and it's free to register. The only time it costs is to submit yourself for a part, and then it's only $2.00

It's been said before but merits restating; apart from talent, skill, and look (while important in their own right) the best way to "break in" to the acting world is to network with as many people involved as possible. This industry is run by people who know people. Take classes, talk with others at the audition, go to festivals, etc. The more people get to know you, the better your chances of being thought of for roles.

Your talent and look (w/out costly procedures) won't change much, your skills will only improve if you use them; but you can NEVER do too much networking.

Ya, actors access is good, but like you said you have to pay $2 for every character you apply for. Also, it's good because my inbox gets spammed with emails from AA listing all the roles I am castable for (age, ethnicity, gender). I think there are more legit roles on AA as compared to mandy.com, but mandy is still a great site for a bunch of free indies in your area.

Back