• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch London Chinatown - Short Documentary Film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6KTfLdGYPs

Here is another short I recently produced. Just something simple I shot around London Chinatown, mainly as I am new to London I just wanted to explore a little.
This mini doc contains video clips and ends with a few photography time lapses that I shot using Magic Lantern on my Canon 600D DSLR. Various lenses used including 18-135mm, 28mm, 50mm and a 58mm lens.
Feedback welcome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6KTfLdGYPs

Here is another short I recently produced. Just something simple I shot around London Chinatown, mainly as I am new to London I just wanted to explore a little.
This mini doc contains video clips and ends with a few photography time lapses that I shot using Magic Lantern on my Canon 600D DSLR. Various lenses used including 18-135mm, 28mm, 50mm and a 58mm lens.
Feedback welcome

As a British Born Chinese, I would like to say the following:

What are you trying to say with the characters? Were you trying to write 'London Chinatown?' If you were, you've missed a character. Otherwise, were you trying to say something like kind-hearted / honest Chinatown or another possibility??? The last character means 'street,' the two characters before it mean 'Tang Ren' - literally 'Tang person' which refers to ethnic Chinese and the grouping together means 'Chinatown.' However, you have added a word before it which does not mean London but has several different meanings. If another character were added - δΌ¦ - this would then mean London.

Also, this is not a documentary, it is an experiment in shooting around Chinatown. I was really excited and then really let down by it. Remember how important this is to your audience. I have experienced great happiness and sadness because of my relationship with Chinatown and was sorely disappointed at just seeing a bit of time-lapse without any documentary.

It might be personal but I find it a bit creepy to be shooting Chinese people in Chinatown going about their business. It just seems a bit weird to me but then again, when I am wandering around Chinatown, I always find it strange when white tourists start taking photos of me. However, I'm a bit weird like that! It's probably OK, I'm just being a bit oversensitive.

Otherwise, the pictures were OK. I quite liked some of the visual imagery once you'd moved away from the duck. I love that duck - you cannot imagine how much I wanted to eat in that restaurant as a kid. However, you shot it without love... just as if it were a framed image. Again, this is personal because I love that particular restaurant because of what it represents to me and the framed image just passed over it without emotion or feeling but otherwise, the pictures were OK.

Last edited:
Nice work! Overall, well done. Although it could be better.

The visuals seem to have no flow. There was awkward abrupt changes to shots that were not similar to the last, which gave the film a clunky and poorly paced feel. If you reedited the film, or got some more coverage - perhaps that would improve the film?

Back