Video Editing for Your IPhone

I totally get where Clips is going. That's fine and all, but very limited in what it can do. And maybe that's the point of it.

But LumaFusion wipes the floor with anything Apple has to offer for iOS video editing.

Last edited:
I think we can all agree that video editing for smartphones is in its infancy. Due to limits of memory, processor speed and power, and expandibility, it's a long way off from being in the same ballpark as editing software for laptops and desktop computers. It's more of software to make quick fixes for the built-in cameras of your phone or tablet. As phones and tablets become more powerful, so will the apps software.

I think we can all agree that video editing for smartphones is in its infancy.

Yes and no. Yeah, it's only a good few years along, but until you've explored LumaFusion I wouldn't be so quick to blow it off.

iMovie is a massive pain in the ass, both the full and mobile versions. They're extremely limited. Imagine having three independent and non-magnetic video layers with embedded audio, plus three additional audio tracks, and built-in speed control, resizing, rotation, color correction, and grading. Oh, and keyframing on audio levels and on video effects. That's LumaFusion.

I have no personal connection to the app or its developer. I am a happy user.

Last edited:
Looks like a new company specializing in the apps for mobile devices, but making a good product. The big industry guns are holding back on mobile devices at this point like Adobe and Apples. There's nothing this serious yet for Android devices and Windows mobile devices. Cyberlink famous for PowerDVD media playing software is just entering the game with Windows mobile device editing software more powerful than Magix who now owns Vegas Pro and Vegas movie Studio software who are making video editing software on the level of IMovie mobile for the IPhone.

The industry is at the same point it was years ago when many investors were looking to see what IBM would do with Radio Shack, Commodore, Timex-Sinclair, and Apple were making the very first desktop computers.

LumaFusion looks fantastic for what I'm reading.

Looks like a new company specializing in the apps for mobile devices, but making a good product.

Not that new. They've had an interesting journey. There was, a few years ago, an app called AVID Studio for iPad. Better than iMovie, but still pretty limited. It was later rebadged as Pinnacle Studio for iPad and Corel acquired all the Ponnacle stuff from AVID. Corel eventually outsourced the app's development and support to Luma-Touch (co-founded by two people who had worked on Pnnacle for AVID and for Corel). Luma-Touch handed Pinnacle apps back to Corel last year in order to launch something much bigger and much better.

The big industry guns are holding back on mobile devices at this point like Adobe and Apples. There's nothing this serious yet for Android devices and Windows mobile devices.

No, there is not. But I'm absolutely impressed with what I can do on my iPad right now.

You do know that IMovie is junior video editing program first introduced with the Imac DVs that was included with Imacs to give new users an introduction to video editing and Final Cut was made for the professional market?

IMovie for the IPhones would indicate a similar trend in the smartphone and tablet market. A Final Cut for the IPad or IPhone would be signaling a professional editing market for mobile devices is coming because mobile devices have reached a level where they are in the same ball park as laptops and desktop computers.

There is an Adobe Photoshop for mobile devices. But, it is more in the development stage than something marketable for professionals.

As I said, LumaFusion looks fantastic. It's much better than Cyberlinks PowerDirector for mobile devices, which is one of the better editing programs for the Windows mobile devices.

You do know that IMovie is junior video editing program first introduced with the Imac DVs that was included with Imacs to give new users an introduction to video editing and Final Cut was made for the professional market?

IMovie for the IPhones would indicate a similar trend in the smartphone and tablet market.

Yes, I am perfectly aware. I played around with early versions of iMovie, and I've cut quite a bit on FCP since v. 1.25.

I'm not refuting any of that, just pointing out that a really beefy NLE for iOS isn't something that just happened last year... it's been evolving for a few years. Sure, it's something from an independent app developer and not from one of the major NLE names, but damn it does some powerful stuff.

iMovie for iOS has been out for a while. Even GarageBand for iOS has been out for a few years now, but both have maintaned their target markets and haven't tried to do much more than that. If you want some really kick-ass DAW work on iPad, look at Auria. It can even export an AAF for moving the project over to something like ProTools.

I personally don't like the new iMovie app. I do not like that I have to lay an audio track over the movie clips, it's very confusing for me. I like it layers out and on separate lines kinda like in the music studio...

Also is the only way to turn all the audio off to all the tracks by clicking the little speaker icon on each clip? is there one command to mute all tracks?
I'm trying new apps and found some gems that really work better than iMovie, https://iphonebyte.com/best-video-editing-apps/
Quik and Splice by Gopro are great.

Back