• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch "City Nights" Latest Short Film

Looking For Feedback on Latest Short Film "City Nights"

Hey Everybody,

My friend and I have been hard at work producing a new short film. It's a short 10 minute action/drama about a reclusive Mob Deliveryman. A lot of hard work went into this one and we'd love if you could take a couple of minutes and go check it out. If you have anything to say about the film please leave a comment on the video or on this forum. If you like it we would be eternally grateful if you could like the short and share it around a little.

https://vimeo.com/119284991

Thanks,
Cameron

Last edited:
Good cinematography, direction and acting. Lacked punch in terms of the story.

Engaging, interesting. Couple of bits which I didn't buy but hey, that's my personal taste so don't listen to me.

Yeah man I would be happy to do some cross promotion, I personally love crime, Michael Mann pretty much anything he does. PM Me.

The chick talking at the beginning seemed a little superfluous. Maybe if we could here the voice on the phone giving her instructions. Then a simple "okay" from here. ???

Developed super slow for me. Maybe if it had some music. I skipped to 3 min mark and kept skipping. I watch maybe a total of 3 mins of the film and got the whole story. This was way to slow/anticlimactic for me.

On the positive side, it was well shot and the sound was good.

Maybe if the two of them could have had some better "back-and-forth" at the beginning to draw me in.

Here's a convo scene the encompasses what i'm talking about. The "bar music" transitions into a moody appropriate "groove." Also, the beginning of the convo is just fluff but it draws you in because there is a tension there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te4G4EGjidM

I really liked this and thought you did an amazing job. It has a nice slow burn to it which I like, and I was really impressed with the dialogue; maybe a turnoff to others, but I found it gave more depth to these characters we were only going to be with a short time.

Just out of curiosity, what did you record your sound with? It was absolutely killer!

Thanks Man! We did sound on lavs, not sure which brand, but it turned out to be one of the best and most convenient decisions we've made. We recorded directly to the camera, which was a Sony a7s, and we didn't even have to really think about sound in post, since it was already synced up and stellar quality.

I've heard the a7 is one of the best prosumer cameras for low light performance. Now I definitely believe it, those night shots all look great.

Or maybe you can share some of your lighting technique :D

Last edited:
I've heard the a7 is one of the best prosumer cameras for low light performance. Now I definitely believe it, those night shots all look great.

Or maybe you can share some of your lighting technique :D

Believe it or not, this film was lit using nothing but iphones most of which were taped to the ceiling of the car. The a7s is by far the best low light camera in the game, and all around unbelievable for its price.

Just took a look, great job to everyone! really well done.
Wondering if you had to do the audio all ADR or if you were able to capture that great of sound in a moving vehicle??
I was really impressed with the angles you chose to cover the scene in, sometimes car scenes can get pretty bland but this kept me intrigued with the characters from beginning to end! Awesome!

When it comes to the sound, Lavs really saved us. We didn't have to do any ADR, everything was captured on the shoot and recorded directly to the camera.

Back