Canon 518 (Super 8)

Has anyone on these forums had any experience with this camera, what can I do with it? Can I connect an external microphone etc.

Haven't bought it yet, I'm just really attracted to the warmth of super 8.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Canon-51...age_Cameras&hash=item23122438e2#ht_1403wt_908

I have this camera, and one "negative" is it is limited to 18 fps. This will sometimes get you an up-charge when processing film. I guess because they are set up for 24fps. Also, I find the permanent pistol is awkward when shooting on a tripod. Further this camera will not read your film catridges so you will need a light meter to set exposure manually. I think it was calibrated for ASA 64 or 100 Tungsten balanced film. That is why you can't use the internal meter, unless you can find that film. Finally, you will need to buy a mercury cell converter. I think I can find the link, if you decide to buy it. You need this to convert the mercury cell/bettery space to a modern equivelant. I forget how much the converter is. $30?? +-

It is comfortable shooting hand held, and it really isn't a bad camera if you just want to fart around. If you are wanting to work seriously in Super8 I would say do some research on the evolution of the Super 8 camera and you will find there are some really nice set ups out there. They will be a bit more expensive, but more bang=more bucks.

I have this camera, and one "negative" is it is limited to 18 fps. This will sometimes get you an up-charge when processing film. I guess because they are set up for 24fps. Also, I find the permanent pistol is awkward when shooting on a tripod. Further this camera will not read your film catridges so you will need a light meter to set exposure manually. I think it was calibrated for ASA 64 or 100 Tungsten balanced film. That is why you can't use the internal meter, unless you can find that film. Finally, you will need to buy a mercury cell converter. I think I can find the link, if you decide to buy it. You need this to convert the mercury cell/bettery space to a modern equivelant. I forget how much the converter is. $30?? +-

It is comfortable shooting hand held, and it really isn't a bad camera if you just want to fart around. If you are wanting to work seriously in Super8 I would say do some research on the evolution of the Super 8 camera and you will find there are some really nice set ups out there. They will be a bit more expensive, but more bang=more bucks.

Thanks for the heads up. So what would I need to simply operate it, Its not that I didn't read your post its just I haven't a clue what any of that means because I've only ever used mini-dv and Digital.

Thanks for the heads up. So what would I need to simply operate it, Its not that I didn't read your post its just I haven't a clue what any of that means because I've only ever used mini-dv and Digital.

For the camera itself:

6 x AA batteries

1 x Silver Oxide 386 Battery

1 x MR9 adapter

Film = $20-30 per role for film only no processing.

If you want to use a variety of film stock, you need to purchase a light meter.
I bought mine off ebay for $75. If you don't want to buy a light meter you will be stuck using
64T film. That's providing that the internal meter still works.

Back