lenses?!?

Ok im new to dslrs and i am ordering my gh1 tomarow.

Im wondering on kinds of lenses for different stuff.

I know a 50mm 1.2/1.4/1.8 is a must.

I was wondering is the 14-42mm kit lens that comes with the gh1 any good? Im deciding to get just body or kit?

I also have a new 80-28mm Eos lens. i know i would need an adapter for that.

What kind of lens would be the best if i was useing a steadicam? because i know u cant really adjust the focus if your using one.

any other lenses you would recemend for different types of shots please let me know! thanks

Do yourself a favor and buy a Helios 44-2 58mm lens. It's an old Soviet-era Russian lens and it's fantastic. Completely manual, great picture quality, and decent aperture (2.8-16). They're an M42 screwmount, so you'll need an adapter (I think I paid around $20 for mine). This has quickly become my favorite lens. It's actually really good in low light (better than some of my other 2.8s), has very few lens flare issues, and creates a nice, sharp picture. I paid $55 for mine, with shipping, and that included an old Russian Zennit SLR camera. Just check Ebay or Etsy for plenty of options. Be aware that a lot of them ship from Russia or Ukraine, so you'll have to be patient to actually get it.

Do yourself a favor and buy a Helios 44-2 58mm lens. It's an old Soviet-era Russian lens and it's fantastic. Completely manual, great picture quality, and decent aperture (2.8-16). They're an M42 screwmount, so you'll need an adapter (I think I paid around $20 for mine). This has quickly become my favorite lens. It's actually really good in low light (better than some of my other 2.8s), has very few lens flare issues, and creates a nice, sharp picture. I paid $55 for mine, with shipping, and that included an old Russian Zennit SLR camera. Just check Ebay or Etsy for plenty of options. Be aware that a lot of them ship from Russia or Ukraine, so you'll have to be patient to actually get it.

Alright ill definatly look into that! And i remember u have the same camera... so what other lenses do u have with it? also do u have any tests on youtube or vimeo with the lens on the camerA?

Alright ill definatly look into that! And i remember u have the same camera... so what other lenses do u have with it? also do u have any tests on youtube or vimeo with the lens on the camerA?

I'll be putting up some test footage with the 44-2 later this week. The only test footage I have up at the moment is from a 28mm JCPenney lens. It does great with things like fireworks (beautiful, star-shaped flares), and not so great with pretty much everything else. Here's the link: http://www.vimeo.com/26299992

What do you guys think about this lens i found on ebay ? http://cgi.ebay.com/35mm-F1-7-HDTV-...190537555816?pt=AU_Lenses&hash=item2c5cec5f68

@cameronchapman yeah that looks pretty nice!

The only thing I might worry about is that you aren't going to have full frame coverage with some of these HDTV lenses (which means you get vignetting). It doesn't sound like that's an issue with this one (it mentions it for full-frame cameras, but not smaller sensor cameras). The GH1 doesn't have as much issue with this as the Canon and Nikon crop sensors (which have a somewhat larger sensor), since the sensor is smaller.

28mm lenses are a really nice focal length on the GH1 (equivalent to a 56mm on a full-frame sensor camera). I love the 28mm on mine, I just wish my own lens was sharper and had fewer lens flare issues (but it's the cheapie JCPenney lens I mentioned already).

28mm lenses are a really nice focal length on the GH1 (equivalent to a 56mm on a full-frame sensor camera). I love the 28mm on mine, I just wish my own lens was sharper and had fewer lens flare issues (but it's the cheapie JCPenney lens I mentioned already).

Alright i found one for 20bucks so i might pick that up as well as the 50mm 1.8

grr i pay $35 for the canon fd 50mm 1.8 now i look on ebay and see a canon fd 50mm 1.4 for $35 i want to buy it but then im stuck with the 50mm 1.8 that ill never use lol is the 1.4 deffinatly worth buying it and have 2 of basicly the same lenses?

grr i pay $35 for the canon fd 50mm 1.8 now i look on ebay and see a canon fd 50mm 1.4 for $35 i want to buy it but then im stuck with the 50mm 1.8 that ill never use lol is the 1.4 deffinatly worth buying it and have 2 of basicly the same lenses?

There's nothing to stop you buying it and then selling the f/1.8 ;)

the FD 50mm f1.8 can be stopped down to f22, where as the FD 50mm f.14 can only go down to f16. This may not seem to matter to us speed freaks. But when your going to shoot outside and want DEEP FOCUS then that f1.8 might be the BETTER choice.

EDIT: whops, have my facts wrong, both lenses go down to f22.. nevermind.. :)

Last edited:
Back